Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1920s Master padlocks

I thought I would share what are probably the oldest Master padlocks in my collection. Both are apparently the kind where the outside of the laminated body was ground smooth. Both of these locks were purchased on eBay (and not too far apart in time either!).

The first one is stamped "MASTER", "PAT'D", and "4-22-24" on the bottom above the keyhole, and has the key number 14 stamped below the keyhole. What's interesting is that, if that patent date on it is for Harry Soref's laminated padlock patent, then they got the date wrong, because the actual patent date for Harry Soref's patent is 4/19/1924, if I remember correctly.

The second one is similar to the first one, except that, unlike the first one, the rivets are not ground flat, plus the 4-22-24 patent date is replaced with "MADE IN U.S.A." and the name "ACE" is stamped below the keyhole above the key number 204. This one seems to be in nice condition and still has 2 original keys.

I have a scan in Microsoft Word .doc format of the October 1931 issue of Master's own magazine, The Master Padlock, "Published in the Interest of the Independent Hardware Retailer by the Master Lock Company", courtesy of an eBay seller who is also a collector, that lists a number of lock models in a catalog-style format near the end of the magazine, including the #400 "Ace". My second lock is stamped "ACE" on the bottom, so it seems that it is a #400 (with a different (earlier?) key design to the one pictured in the 1931 magazine to boot!). The first lock seems to be the same size, and the second lock's keys slide into the first one's keyhole, so the first one may also be an (earlier) #400.

Regards,

Zachary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1920s_Master_padlock_1.jpg   1920s_Master_padlock_2.jpg  

Very interesting, I have never seen the type with the rivets ground smooth. I would guess that it is from the first 1 or 2 years of production. It should also have remnants of black paint that was used to further disguise the laminations.

I have noted that many times the same keyway was used for different models and only the shape of the bow was changed. According to the records I have the #400 ACE model was first made in 1926 and was later discontinued but I don't have the disc. date. The earlier lock is most likely a #300 GEM which was introduced in 1924.

Master Lock doesn't keep a lot of historical information. I have worked here for 12 years now and have probably gathered all the info available. The original patent 1,490,987 was issued April 22, 1924.
    BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by Retro00064 View Post
    I thought I would share what are probably the oldest Master padlocks in my collection. Both are apparently the kind where the outside of the laminated body was ground smooth. Both of these locks were purchased on eBay (and not too far apart in time either!).

The first one is stamped "MASTER", "PAT'D", and "4-22-24" on the bottom above the keyhole, and has the key number 14 stamped below the keyhole. What's interesting is that, if that patent date on it is for Harry Soref's laminated padlock patent, then they got the date wrong, because the actual patent date for Harry Soref's patent is 4/19/1924, if I remember correctly.

The second one is similar to the first one, except that, unlike the first one, the rivets are not ground flat, plus the 4-22-24 patent date is replaced with "MADE IN U.S.A." and the name "ACE" is stamped below the keyhole above the key number 204. This one seems to be in nice condition and still has 2 original keys.

I have a scan in Microsoft Word .doc format of the October 1931 issue of Master's own magazine, The Master Padlock, "Published in the Interest of the Independent Hardware Retailer by the Master Lock Company", courtesy of an eBay seller who is also a collector, that lists a number of lock models in a catalog-style format near the end of the magazine, including the #400 "Ace". My second lock is stamped "ACE" on the bottom, so it seems that it is a #400 (with a different (earlier?) key design to the one pictured in the 1931 magazine to boot!). The first lock seems to be the same size, and the second lock's keys slide into the first one's keyhole, so the first one may also be an (earlier) #400.

Regards,

Zachary.

Default 1920s Master padlocks

Your posting sparked my interest in the old, smooth style Master padlock. I remembered that I had one too, but hadn't paid much attention to it. Mine is different than yours. Notice that the name Master has different lettering including a fancy M. Incidentally, the April 22, 1924 patent (#1,490,988) issued to H.E. Soref is for a "combined padlock and doorbolt." It doesn't resemble either of our padlocks.
    I have included pictures of my padlock for comparison.
    Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG4683.JPG   CIMG4684.JPG   CIMG4682.JPG  

Here are the patents
    Attached Files Attached Files

As mentioned in my other post on this same subject in a different thread, the one with the patent date was likely manufactured between 1924 - 1926. It would have been named GEM and been the model #300. The ACE was the model #400 and production started in 1926. The patent referred to is 1,490,987.

Most ground locks were also painted black to further disguise the laminations.
    BBE.

Nice lock Scott, thanks for posting. I don't think I've seen one like yours before, although one time on eBay someone had listed some old Master padlocks, with one of them being one of the adjustable-shackle tire/bike locks that used an interesting font for the "Master Lock Co." stamping on the bottom that was similar to yours as I recall, except that the text was all on one smaller line. The lock also had the "Master" stamping on the shackle, if I remember correctly.

Here is an old thread on these forums from 2009 with an even later variation of our locks. The font for the "Master Lock Co." stamping on the bottom of Mike's lock is typical for 1930s Master locks. The plaque containing "Patented" and "Made in U.S.A." stamped on the top of the lock, which your lock also has, was used on other Master locks in the 1930s such as the "Secret Service" #5 pin-tumbler padlock. The two 1920s locks that I posted above do not have any visible markings on the top. The first one with the patent date has a flat top and the second one has a "bump" on the top.

Master was making smoothened-down padlocks as late as the late 1930s, because there used to be a couple of Master catalog ads from 1938 or 1939 on eBay, and one of the ads featured one of the smoothened-down padlocks.

Thanks for the patents, Dean. So it seems that Master may not have gotten the patent date wrong on my lock after all.

Regards,

Zachary.

Default Master padlocks

Here is what I regard as an uncommon Master padlock. It's high security in the sense that the shackle is protected from being cut or sawed. The part of the shackle that is round (at the left) will turn if anyone attempts to use a hacksaw. Counting the notches on the key, it has four pin tumblers.
    Does anybody have a patent date for this lock or can provide additonal information?
    Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG4685.JPG   CIMG4686.JPG   CIMG4687.JPG  

It's a Master #37 padlock. It seems to be basically a #3 with a special shackle. The 37 on the bottom is the model number. This is one of those locks where Master did not prefix the model number with "No". I think these locks were called the "Armorlock" or something similar; some searching on eBay shows some eBay stores using the name "Armorlock" in the listing title for these locks. I may have seen some of these in the original packaging with a name on the packaging back when I was actively monitoring eBay for antique and vintage Master padlocks, but that was a while back.

I have one of these with 2 original keys (of the modern design, like yours has) that looks just like yours except it has the key number stamped in ink right on top of the "Master Lock Co." stamping above the keyway.

Apparently, Master still makes these locks; here is their product page for it on their website.

So the shackle guard/sleeve spins on yours. Can you remove it when you unlock the lock? The details of this model lock on the Master Lock website at the link above The one on mine neither spins nor comes off, but is stuck in place; perhaps someone glued it on or whatever.

As far as dates go, since your lock and my lock have the metal bumper, I'd say that they might be from the 1970s or 1980s. As far as patents go, I am not sure if there is a patent for the #37's design. I think there may be a patent for the metal bumper that our #37's feature.

When I just searched for these locks on eBay, I found a completed listing for one which had an earlier key design which came before the current design that your lock and my lock have. Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mast...item4160f138a1.

Regards,

Zachary.

Default Master padlocks

Thanks, Zachary, for the information! I must admit that before your posting, I didn't consider Master padlocks very collectible and didn't pay too much attention to them. You've made me reexamine what I have in a new light.
    Yes, I can remove the guard/sleeve off the shackle. It fits tightly so it won't fall off. Until you asked, I never even bothered to see if it could be removed.
    The number on my key is not stamped in ink, and on the other side is stamped Master above a design of lines simulating the lamination of the padlock.
    Scott

Master does indeed still make the No. 37 "Armorlock" shrouded laminated steel pin tumbler non-rekeyable padlock which features a revolving shackle guard. At one time it was also sold with their now-discontinued No.425 outboard motor lock. Base model suggested list price is $15.29, up-charge options are:
    *BumpStop anti-bump cylinder technology $1.00
    *Keyed Alike $.95
    *Master Keyed $4.70
    *Edge Key Control 4-pin cylinder $9.80

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information