Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Klemm View Post
    Thanks, Zachary, for the information! I must admit that before your posting, I didn't consider Master padlocks very collectible and didn't pay too much attention to them. You've made me reexamine what I have in a new light.
    Yes, I can remove the guard/sleeve off the shackle. It fits tightly so it won't fall off. Until you asked, I never even bothered to see if it could be removed.
    The number on my key is not stamped in ink, and on the other side is stamped Master above a design of lines simulating the lamination of the padlock.
    Scott
    No problem, Scott. The ones that I like to get are ones that are still in the original box with the keys or combination tag, as well as ones like the 1920s padlocks that I posted and other unusual/hard-to-find models that are worth getting even without a box. I seem to have also looked more for the earlier/est versions of a model, though perhaps I should go for later versions from the 1940s and 1950s as well. eBay is, of course, the place where these locks can be found and where I have gotten most of mine (and almost all of my new-in-box locks).

Master took pride in their locks back in the old days. Just look at attached photos of the original 1930s boxes for a few classic locks that Master still makes today: the #1500 combination padlock, the #5 pin tumbler padlock, and the #22 warded padlock. As the scan of the 1931 Master magazine that I have says, "Packed only as MASTER packs them." And yes, the locks and their keys or combination tag were still in the boxes when I took the photos. The #1500 "Champ" is one of the original steel-cased ones, by the way. They later made the case brass, and eventually stainless steel, which is still used today.

"Supreme/Superior Quality and Workmanship Throughout!" They weren't kidding back then, it seems.

I wish I knew what the original boxes to the 1920s locks that I posted and even the one you posted looked like. Perhaps someday I'll find out and maybe even obtain one.

By the way, when I talked about the key number being stamped in ink in my above post about the #37, I was talking about it being stamped in ink on the bottom of the lock right on top of the "Master Lock Co." stamping, not on the keys. The grammer may not have make this clear; sorry. My #37's keys, just like yours, have the key number simply stamped into the back, with no ink.

Anyway, enough yakking on my part. Glad to be a member of this forum and be able to share some of my locks.

Regards,

Zachary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2198-cropped.jpg   100_2199-cropped.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    Very interesting, I have never seen the type with the rivets ground smooth. I would guess that it is from the first 1 or 2 years of production. It should also have remnants of black paint that was used to further disguise the laminations.

I have noted that many times the same keyway was used for different models and only the shape of the bow was changed. According to the records I have the #400 ACE model was first made in 1926 and was later discontinued but I don't have the disc. date. The earlier lock is most likely a #300 GEM which was introduced in 1924.

Master Lock doesn't keep a lot of historical information. I have worked here for 12 years now and have probably gathered all the info available. The original patent 1,490,987 was issued April 22, 1924.
    BBE.
    Hi BBE:

For some reason, your posts here have not been visible to me until now, but many thanks for the great information!

The #300 "Gem" is listed in the October 1931 Master Padlock magazine scan that I have, but is shown as having the corrugated/zig-zag keys, so I did not really consider the earlier lock to be one until now. Perhaps the keyway and keys were changed later on after my lock was made; after all, as shown in that magazine, the #510 and #517 adjustable-shackle padlocks, which are still made today, originally had flat keys instead of the corrugated keys they got later on.

If the earlier #300 "Gem" lock was painted, then there is very little paint left on it. There are some little places on it that look like they could be paint remnants, though. Whether this lock was painted or not, it certainly looks like it could pass for a solid-steel lock, lol.

The #400 "Ace" seems to be fairly shiny, so I don't know if it was even painted at all, though there are some white-looking areas on the body that do not seem to be so shiny.

Anyway, thanks again. The earlier #300 being from 1924 to 1926 would certainly make it the oldest one I have, lol. The great stuff you can find on eBay; I don't remember exactly how much I paid for these, but I'll say it was probably somewhere around $15 to $20 each.

Regards,

Zachary.

Quote Originally Posted by Retro00064 View Post

By the way, when I talked about the key number being stamped in ink in my above post about the #37, I was talking about it being stamped in ink on the bottom of the lock right on top of the "Master Lock Co." stamping, not on the keys. The grammer may not have make this clear; sorry. My #37's keys, just like yours, have the key number simply stamped into the back, with no ink.

Regards,

Zachary.
    There is an interesting evolution to the marking of the code on locks at Master. Originally the locks were marked with the code starting around 1931 when the first pin tumbler models were made. This was a hard stmp on the bottom plate of the lock. Somewhere around 1977 that hard stamping was eliminated anad the locks were marked with the code in ink on the bottom.

That change was made because there were a lot of locksmith code books that made it into the public domain and having the code hard stamped on the lock made it pretty easy to compromise by just getting a key to that code. When the ink was used the packaging recommended recording the number and then removing the ink, which hardly anyone ever did.

Sometime in the 1990's the marking with ink was discontinued for the same reason the hard stamping had been eliminated plus that people just didn't remove the ink. Today the code is only stamped on the keys and that is done in two ways. 1. A hard stamp if the keys were cut in Milwaukee. 2. A hard stamp made with a dot stamper if the keys are cut in the Mexico assembly factory. That too may change some day.
    BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    There is an interesting evolution to the marking of the code on locks at Master. Originally the locks were marked with the code starting around 1931 when the first pin tumbler models were made. This was a hard stmp on the bottom plate of the lock. Somewhere around 1977 that hard stamping was eliminated anad the locks were marked with the code in ink on the bottom.

That change was made because there were a lot of locksmith code books that made it into the public domain and having the code hard stamped on the lock made it pretty easy to compromise by just getting a key to that code. When the ink was used the packaging recommended recording the number and then removing the ink, which hardly anyone ever did.

Sometime in the 1990's the marking with ink was discontinued for the same reason the hard stamping had been eliminated plus that people just didn't remove the ink. Today the code is only stamped on the keys and that is done in two ways. 1. A hard stamp if the keys were cut in Milwaukee. 2. A hard stamp made with a dot stamper if the keys are cut in the Mexico assembly factory. That too may change some day.
    BBE.
    Thanks for the information, Billy. Of course, the stamping of the key code on the padlocks started even earlier as seen on my two 1920s padlocks in the original post, right? Otherwise, I do not know what those numbers are below the keyhole on them.

From what I've seen, it seems that Master never stamped the key code on the keys to their warded padlocks, unless they did at one time for the keys to at least some models and I just haven't seen any examples yet.

When did Master stop stamping the Master plaque border on the bottom of the laminated-steel pin-tumbler padlocks, which they then stamped the key code in? I have two old Master #5 padlocks, apparently from around the 1970s, that do not have bumpers and have the key code stamped in ink inside the plaque border. A photo is attached. For what it's worth, the #5 on the left in the photo is in very nice condition, as if it saw little use. Kinda makes you wonder what happened to the original box and keys.

Regards,

Zachary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2235-cropped.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Retro00064 View Post
    Thanks for the information, Billy. Of course, the stamping of the key code on the padlocks started even earlier as seen on my two 1920s padlocks in the original post, right? Otherwise, I do not know what those numbers are below the keyhole on them.

From what I've seen, it seems that Master never stamped the key code on the keys to their warded padlocks, unless they did at one time for the keys to at least some models and I just haven't seen any examples yet.

When did Master stop stamping the Master plaque border on the bottom of the laminated-steel pin-tumbler padlocks, which they then stamped the key code in?
    Regards,

Zachary.
    As I mentioned, there isn't a lot of historical information available. I would guess that stamping the code on warded locks was likely stopped when pin tumbler production started in 1931. You are right that the code was never stamped on wardsed keys. Re the little plaque stamping on the bottom of the locks I asked around in engineering and no one remembers but it was likely stopped when we stopped stamping the inked code in the 1990's.
    BBE.

Here's an early Master hasplock, apparently from circa the mid 1920s. The padlock part has the same early Master markings with the April 22, 1924 patent date on the bottom as the padlock in the opening post. This lock does not have the rivet heads smoothened off, however. The hasplock still has a good amount of black paint remaining, which, based on BBE's information, is probably original to the lock. I don't know for certain which model it is, but I'm guessing it could be the #350, the hasplock version of the #300 "Gem". The hasp is stamped "PAT. PEND." to the left (in the photo) of the slot for the staple, yet Master's hasplock ("combined padlock and doorbolt") patent was granted on the same day as the laminated padlock patent: April 22, 1924. So I'm not completely sure whether the "PAT. PEND." marking refers to a different patent (I have not found one yet) or Master was just using up old stock hasplock hasps from before the patent was granted. Any comments/information appreciated as always.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2796 (cropped - x, y = 175, 200 - 800px wide).JPG   100_2808 (cropped - x, y = 100, 250 - rotated - 1000px high).JPG  

Once a machine is setup to do a manufacture run you might not take it down and make a change for a while, days-weeks, so this might be a case that they didn't want to waste money to make that change until the machine was being changed due to wear. They were not worried being the patent was referred to and they had it later.

Good point, Dean, especially since Master was a young company at the time.

Here is a really early, pre-patent Master laminated padlock with an original key. The top of the lock is stamped "MASTER", "6" (presumably the key number) and "PAT. PEND." The bottom is unmarked. The key is also stamped with the number 6, but is otherwise of the same design as the keys to my early #400 "Ace" padlock shown in the opening post. Just like the rustier padlock shown in the opening post, said to be a #300 "Gem", this lock has the rivet heads smoothened off. This lock is, as you can see, well-weathered, but still has some black paint remnants on it, especially on the right side. Other than the different markings, this lock is identical to the one in the opening post. I wonder whether this padlock is also a #300 "Gem" or if it could have had some other model number, as BBE said the #300 was introduced in 1924, the same year the patent was granted.

Regards,

Zachary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2812 (cropped - x, y = 275, 175 - 800px wide).jpg   100_2813 (cropped - x, y = 540, 275 - 800px wide).jpg   100_2819 (cropped - x, y = 205, 525 - rotated - 1000px high).jpg  

Thread Information