Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default New Member With Corbin Cabinet Lock Trademark Mystery

Hi. I am a freelance writer and have written a number of articles with an historical slant; I also like nonfiction mysteries *and am here with one*.

The attached photos show a brass latch or locking mechanism that was mounted near the edge of the top of an elderly oak desk I am turning into a kitchen table. The plate is small, only about 2.25" long and .75" wide. The rectangle at the bottom is a spring-mounted door that pushes down into a cavity. There is a logo stamped on the plate, and doing some research led me to Corbin Lock Company. I am trying to determine *when* the pictured trademark was used by Corbin. Thanks for any help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corbin.1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	322.4 KB 
ID:	5275 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corbin.2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	5276
    Last edited by Dean Nickel; 17-01-12 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Topic finding

I think that might be Corbin Cabinet Lock logo from around 1890-1900. Corbin Cabinet lock gets confused with Corbin Lock.

http://www.amazon.com/Early-lockmake.../dp/B0006CNZZE
    This book might also help.

According to Historical Research Series #19 published by Thomas F. Hennessy, Curator, Lock Museum of America in May, 1987; that logo was used by Corbin Cabinet Lock Co. from 1900-1919. CCL Security Products of Wheeling, IL is their successor.

Pete Schifferli

Thanks, Halflock and Pete. Every piece of information helps.

Pete, if there a page you can refer me to? Best to you, Ted.

Default Corbin Logo From 1911

In my last post, I meant "is" not "if"--sorry about that. The image is from an August, 1911, American magazine. The Corbin logo shown looks more modern than the one on my part, at least to me.

Name:	Corbin.Logo.8.1911.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	260.9 KB 
ID:	5282

There is currently a 1911 Corbin Cabinet Lock company catalog listing on ebay

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-191...d#ht_540wt_812)

The company logo in the upper corners of the open pages is more a match for yours. Sorry, resolution on the pictures appear too week to copy and paste that portion of the picture here. You'll have to zoom in on the logo.

I think the design difference between this one and the one you found is interesting...I wonder if they had an architectural products division with its own design?
    Bill
    Last edited by bbcci; 17-01-12 at 02:37 PM.

Default Excellent!

Yes, indeed, bbcci, but it's a little small. I sent an e-mail to the seller with the hope he or she will send a close-up scan of the logo. Many thanks for all the help I am receiving here.

---------- Post added at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 AM ----------

As far as Corbin having more than one logo, I think that's unlikely mainly because the company was relatively small.

Quote Originally Posted by ThSchaar View Post
    -------- Post added at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 AM ----------

As far as Corbin having more than one logo, I think that's unlikely mainly because the company was relatively small.
    Note that there were two related companies using the Corbin name in that era, Corbin Cabinet Lock and P & F Corbin. They were two of America's largest lock and builders hardware manufacturers and had different logos. For a detailed history refer to Locks and Lockmakers of America, Revised Third Edition by Thomas F. Hennessy. That publication, together with Historial Research Series #19 by the same author, which I referred to in my earlier post, can be purchased from Lock Museum of America of which Mr. Hennessy is curator. Note that the museum is closed for the winter months so they might not be immediately available. Website:
    http://www.lockmuseumofamerica.org

Pete Schifferli
    (Charter and Life Member)
    Last edited by Pschiffe; 17-01-12 at 08:35 PM. Reason: clarification and typo

Interesting, Pete. Will keep the two-company reality in mind. Per your suggestion, I have *Locks and Lockmakers of America* on order through inter-library loan at my local library. Should be here in a week or so. Thanks, again.

stuffisus, the lady who is selling a 1911 Corbin catalog on e-bay, was kind enough to send a scan of the Corbin logo alone. Find it attached along with another shot of the logo (engraved on brass) I am trying to date. There are a few subtle differences but the two are largely similar. (Thanks for the lead, bbcci.)

Name:	Corbin.1911.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	5285 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Desk Plate.2.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	5286

Thread Information