Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Help with escutcheon?

I have taken the escutcheon off although unfortunately it is incomplete. This shouldn't be too much of a problem as I shall make the missing brass part that I guess slides up and down?!?

It has very distinctive lines scribed round the edges. I have the spring that pushes the lever back and the original screws to attach it to the front of the safe.

Does any one know what it would of looked like and how the mechanism works? My knowledge is quite poor around escutcheons.

Attachment 5266 Attachment 5267 Attachment 5268 Attachment 5269 Attachment 5270

Default Escutcheon

Darryl

What was the brand of safe that this escucheon was taken from?

Regards
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by darryl.k View Post
    I have taken the escutcheon off although unfortunately it is incomplete. This shouldn't be too much of a problem as I shall make the missing brass part that I guess slides up and down?!?

It has very distinctive lines scribed round the edges. I have the spring that pushes the lever back and the original screws to attach it to the front of the safe.

Does any one know what it would of looked like and how the mechanism works? My knowledge is quite poor around escutcheons.

Attachment 5266 Attachment 5267 Attachment 5268 Attachment 5269 Attachment 5270

Hi Russell,

It's off the small cast steel safe that I posted and you commented on (thread moved to caskets / chests threads, I consider it a safe!). You said maybe a Carron's, although Carron's that I have seen have their name on the inside of the door. Although the workings and markings actually look very similar to a thread you commented on "Interesting escutchoen" by Locksafe on 25/04/11.

Thanks for your help,

Ok, so I've started making the missing parts for this still unknown make of escutcheon. I got some off cuts of 2mm brass from one of the engineering companies I visit. 2mm happens to be just the right thickness, which means I can do it all on the bench without having to do any machining. I think I've figured out how it mechanically works. Going to sandwich the 3 plates together so once assembled they slide up and down and released by the catch underneath.

Thinking of engraving a pattern / name / initials on the front, not sure what yet?!?

IMAG1996 1

IMAG1997 1

IMAG1998 1

IMAG1999 1

So far, so good!

Cut pieces to size. Found some dome head 6BA screws and taps. Trial assemble, this is all guess work as I only had half the bits to begin with... you get the idea! Just have to clean up, de burr, polish etc and think of a pattern.

IMAG2006 1

IMAG2010 1

IMAG2008 1

IMAG2009 1

So close to completion! Comments welcome.

IMAG2050 1

IMAG2053 1

Very nice job and looking good *****

Thanks for sharing this, It is always a pleasure to see such beautiful work.

Thread Information