Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Herring, not Herring and Farrel

Hi. I'm new here so I wasn't sure if I should start new thread or keep this one going, since my safe is almost identical to Matts. I'm looking for a value and year model, also is this a champion? Will post more pics if these turn out. thanks. Wes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan0001.jpg   Scan0006.jpg   Scan0014.jpg   Scan0008.jpg  

Default Herring safe

A few more pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan0002.jpg   Scan0003.jpg   Scan0007.jpg   Scan0009.jpg  

Default Herring safes

Hi, can anyone tell me what PT means on the casters of some of the Herring and Farrel safes. My Herring I posted above does not have this?

Do you think it is a shortening of "patent"?

Default Herring safes

The short for patent is Pat. so I don't know what PT is?

Pretty sure the PT stands for patent. If the Yale timelock is original to the chest, that would probably date it around 1890 or so. As for "Champion", I have seen it used on Herring fire safes several times but not on the money chests. But in written info, it sounds like it was used for the chests as well. Kind of like Herring's widespread use of "Dexter" for the various lock models. Doug

Default Herring safe from Aspen

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    Pretty sure the PT stands for patent. If the Yale timelock is original to the chest, that w ould probably date it around 1890 or so. As for "Champion", I have seen it used on Herring fire safes several times but not on the money chests. But in written info, it sounds like it was used for the chests as well. Kind of like Herring's widespread use of "Dexter" for the various lock models. Doug
    Hi, can anyone give me a value on this safe and would the history affect the value. A brief history is that I found this safe in Carbondale Colorado about 15 years ago, it was at a garage sale and was actually in the garage since 1929. In 29 it was taken out of the bank of aspen in Aspen Colo during the crash. I bought it from I believe the bank presidents daughter, the family gave us more in depth info but was verbal. I think this can all be documented with research, anyway it makes for a long and interesting story. If someone can shed any light on this it woud be great and thanks.
    If you need more pics than I have supplied let me know.

Personally, provenance means little to me, but it does to many people. All antique safes have a history. Unless it corresponds to something or someone famous, it won't mean much, other than to locals of the area. However I do appreciate a gem of a safe more than most, and because of that I tend to over value them. Easy several thousand in my mind. Doug

Default Herring NEW PT. CHAMPION any Info would be fantastic

New here because I cannot find any information on the safe that I am currently the owner of.
    All caster supports say Herring Farrell but Herring made the NEW PT. CHAMPION
    Combo lock on left door is a dummy, the one on the right door is both the combo and the opening mechanism.
    I also have a 9 inch key that inserts in the back of the combo lock (maybe to change combo?) I am trying to figure out the history but also would like to open the drawers and safety deposit box, as I dont have the key for that, but I do have the main combination. One of the drawers is broke so I could take the lock apart.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4001.JPG   IMG_4002.JPG   IMG_4022.JPG   IMG_4023.JPG   IMG_4033.JPG  

What a beauty!

Yes, the key is for changing the combination.

Thread Information