Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Help identifying a key! (ward key)

Hi All,

I was hoping someone on here would be able to help me identify these keys. The Accurate brand one was handed down to me, though I am not sure it it is the original. The other key was a copy I had made. The lock that the keys fit is a mortise lock with sliding plates on the inside.

I was told they may have been ward keys to a hospital or jail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keys1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	218.2 KB 
ID:	9296

Quote Originally Posted by beccaeve View Post
    Hi All,

I was hoping someone on here would be able to help me identify these keys. The Accurate brand one was handed down to me, though I am not sure it it is the original. The other key was a copy I had made. The lock that the keys fit is a mortise lock with sliding plates on the inside.

I was told they may have been ward keys to a hospital or jail.
    That key is for an Accurate Lock & Hardware No. 278 lever tumbler deadlock and may very well have been for an asylum application. See thumbnail attached for more info., note image of S63 key. Accurate was a subcontractor to Yale and the No. 278 deadlock was manufactured for Yale prior to being sold with the Accurate marque. They are still made to this day. Here is a link to their website:
    http://www.accuratelockandhardware.com/

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Accurate278leverTumblerDeadlock.jpg  

Thread Information