Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Need a key...

Default Need a key...

Hi Friends!

As part of going through some of my deceased grandparents' belongings, I am restoring an old trunk. One of my daughters will receive a trunk with quite a patina to it, and a new lining of aromatic cedar. The trunk has the name of my daughter's double great grandmother on it, so it is something to keep.

There is also an Eagle Lock Co. lock that takes a barrel key. The lock's last patent date is Dec. 6, 1892. Near the hinge is the number "29" stamped. As I have no key, how would I go about getting a key for this trunk lock?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TrunkLockR.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	6735Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trunk 001R.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	6736Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trunk 002R.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	6737

Try contacting Bruce at the Cleveland Key Shop, 216-241-6074. He has made quite a few keys for steamer trunks over the years. Usually a locksmith will want the lock to work on, in order to properly fit the key, but in some cases they will have a ring of all the keys to make duplicates or a pattern book to make the proper key. I don't know if they have either for these Eagle locks but he may be able to help you figure it out. Doug

Call
    Send SMS
    Add to Skype
    You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

Some locksmiths have access to the Majestic Trunk Key Book originally published in the 1930s. A silhouette of your key together with the proper blank number can be found in Vol. 1 on Pg. 2. Although the blank is long obsolete, there are sources available to the trade or your locksmith may be able to modify an extant key blank to fit.

Pete Schifferli

Well, I communicated with a local locksmith who gave me an estimate of $50- $75, and my daughter found a #29 key on ebay for $12.50-shipped. She bought it. That might make the locksmiths here a little disappointed, but I think it will be worth the risk.

As a locksmith, I hope it does work for you. Trunks can be a pain to make keys for as sometimes the number is wrong or at least two or more key numbers for the same type of lock.

I quickly checked ebay and of the three #29 keys available 2 seem right and one is wrong. Attached is some information that will help you determine a correct eagle #29 key.

DH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  

Thanks to Doug, Pete, Dean and David. This is the key my daughter bought. It looks like the right #29 key.

Name:	Key29.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	6746

Quote Originally Posted by Dowser View Post
    Thanks to Doug, Pete, Dean and David. This is the key my daughter bought. It looks like the right #29 key.

Name:	Key29.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	6746
    That looks like right one mate. Cheers! Lovely trunk by the way...me mum had something like that before....

The key looks about right. I did some checking up and yeah, the key should be able to do the trick. Where did you get it mate? Being part of <snip no advertising allowed> , I do look for stuff like that. Dont suppose you'd like to sell it mate?
    Last edited by oldlock; 06-04-13 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Commercial link removed.

Hi Friends!

That #29 key my daughter bought on ebay opens the lock!

Mike: Across the pond there don't you have ebay or an equivalent? This one cost $12.50 American dollars. She is going to keep it. There were others out there for a bit more.

Thread Information