Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Richard Young 1873 Patent Combination Lock

Here is another rare lock that was seen in the collection at the Hermann Safe Co. in San Francisco several years ago. Nothing is known about the maker but note there are differences between the patent and lock in the picture. Being that the lock case is bronze would indicate the lock was removed from a burglary chest or even possibly a vault door. Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Hermann

Is Hermann still around? I didn't realize that there was a collection in San Francisco. Is it available for public viewing? Hermann is one of those makers I knew about but you just don't see much of their product around. The only thing of theirs I have been able to collect is a Mosler timelock with Hermann Safe Company inscribed on the front cover.

Based on what I saw when I was there and what I heard from someone who has recently tried on line to find them, I would have to say they are no longer in business. That lock was in the private collection of the owner and I was allowed to take some quick pictures of it, which was small but had many nice locks. There was also a small turn of the century Hermann fire safe made by the founder of the company. I do know the company was a major West Coast Mosler dealer for many years during the 1900's but that's about it. Doug

Thread Information