Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Jos. L. Hall Double Dial "Victor" Lock

This is the only example of the 1863 Hall "Victor" patent lock that I have found. Unfortunately missing some wheels but note it is a 5 wheel lock just like the later 'Premier" lock. Very nice lock. Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hall.JPG   hall2.JPG   hall3.JPG   hall4.JPG   hall5.JPG  

halll.JPG  

Doug,
    Where do you find this stuff? Awesome lock.

"Where do I find this stuff?" Everywhere. Unfortunately most of it I have to search out and travel to find it. But this particular lock was found on line at the web site of master escape artist and safe collector Anthony Martin. It is called "Anthony Escapes". He was nice enough to send me the pics. This Hall "Victor" lock is particularly interesting in that it is virtually the same as the patent, unlike the Hall "Premier" and "Crescent" which were cobbled together models based on several patents. I can just hear Jos. Hall screaming from the grave, "Cobbled together?" Maybe not the best choice of words. For example, the Premier push button catch and screw on wheel curb comes from this patent. This is of particular interest to me one of the very first safes I drilled open had a "Premier" lock on it. After spending the better part of a day trying to manipulate it open thinking it had only 4 wheels, I decided to drill. I had never heard of a "Premier" nor a 5 wheel lock. Drilling from the back of the safe, imagine my surprise to see some guys profile on the back of the lock. Long story shorter, I disassembled the lock through several holes in the safe. That was my first exposure to the high quality and workmanship that existed in my trade at one time. And I keep looking for more. Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0025.jpg  

Thread Information