Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Herring Hall Marvin safe models

Did Herring Hall Marvin have names for the various sized safes they made? I think I read on a post here that there is no record of the serial numbers or way to get a manufacture date from it. Is that right?

And is that asbestos on the inside of the door cover? I imagine it is glued on and I'm afraid of damaging the cover by wetting it and scraping the fireproofing material off. I am about 110% sure it is asbestos. It looks just like pipe insulation.

If you see something that looks like asbestos then it probably is. The majority of the door insulation fill will not be asbestos on that safe but there could be some in the mix. But I have seen thin asbestos door jamb seals used on some safes. Doug

Doug, the safe door itself is filled with a concrete like poured material, but the flat metal access panel door has a thin sheet of white woven material glued to the back of it. It is woven like burlap.

Thread Information