Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Book Review Ancient Locks: The Evolutionary Development of the Lock and Key

Finding out about the evolution of past designs helps us to understand present locksmithing techniques. Scott Klemm's book is a self-published review of ancient keys and their locking systems. It is a specialized subject area..with very few publications to turn to for basic knowledge.

Assembled between these covers of Scott's publication is a wealth of information, facts, pictures and illustrations covering the ancient civilizations efforts to safeguard their valuables. From a scholary point of view this is a well researched book. It delves into areas that other authors don't. The time taken to reseach, write and illustrate the locksmithing concepts shown in the book amounts to hundreds of hours. The bibliography has original sources I haven't seen before.

My specialty is restoration locksmithing and the quality of background material contained in Scott's book filled in some missing pieces of knowledge I require to restore some of the locks and keys I now work on, and will in the future.

I have to recommend this volume both as reference material and as necessary background for modern locksmiths to understand the origins of their vocation. It is surprising a Publishing House hasn't printed Scott's book for distribution in their chain of outlets?

Perhaps every Locksmith Association should obtain a copy for their reference Library? The reason for stating this is because I have also been gathering information on Ancient locksmithing systems over the past several decades. Material I have is boiled down into short magazine articles for a national locksmith publication. Unfortunately the mass of data hasn't been placed in a book format. Scott has done this service for other Lock & Key enthusiasts with his book. Although Scott has a different method of presenting the information then I do, it is still valid and insightful for our community. Diversity brings us a wide horizon of viewpoints and Scott's publication will be treasured far into the next generations of Locksmiths and researchers.

So if you wish to save time and legwork then obtain a copy of his book.

Brian .................................................. ..............

"Hi everyone! I am [Scott Klemm] a new member, although I have been a collector of locks and keys for many years. I am a retired history teacher and very interested in the history of locks along with their inventors and companies. I am also the author of Ancient Locks: The Evolutionary Development of the Lock and Key. (This is a limited edition printing of only 250 copies.) Send me a note if you wish more information."

Default Book review: Ancient Locks

I want to thank Brian for reading and reviewing my book. I also want to take this opportunity to say a little more about the book. The 8 x 11 book is 51 pages long with color and black and white illustrations. Its contents are: Preface, The So-Called Egyptian Lock, Egypt, Greece, Rome, Ancient Israel, China, Ancient Fetters and Manacles, Acknowlegments, Bibliography and Further Reading. One of the things that makes my book unique is that I have challenged the often repeated assertion that the ancient Egypitans invented the first pin tumbler lock.

As mentioned by Brian, this is a self-published, limited edition work, and as of this writing over half of the books have been sold. I have no plans to republish after the last copies are gone.

The price is U.S. $29.00.

Scott

Default Book review: Ancient Locks

The $29 price includes shipping within the U.S. The actual price without the shipping cost is $26.

Thread Information