Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default The Old Mutual, London, England

Hi all,

Just wanted to share with you all some recent pics.

My job takes me into the basements of some buildings in London. The pics below are of a Chubb vault in the basement of Old Mutual near Cannon Street station. The building I think used to belong to Credit Suisse and they kept all the gold bullion there. The gold has long gone!

Rumour has it that a member of staff was playing with the door handle / lock while it was shut and managed to lock it. They hadn't used it properly for years and the code / key was long gone, or they didn't know how to use it, so they just used the inner cage door. Problem being is they kept all the IT equipment in there and needed access. So they had a lock smith come out and decommission it. The little white sticker on the front reads ACE locksmiths, think they are London based?!

Darryl

IMAG1562 1

IMAG1563 1

IMAG1564 1

Default Vault blog

Hi Darryl

The sticker pertaining to Ace.... Ace are based in Southampton.
    Lest said the better bout them....

Shame the time lock had been nicked!!

This lil beaut was supplied direct by Chubb, it's styling takes it to early 1980's. Only weighs around 3 tonnes.

Need anymore info...just hollar

Russell
    Withy Grove
    www.wgsafesonline.com

Quote Originally Posted by darryl.k View Post
    Hi all,

Just wanted to share with you all some recent pics.

My job takes me into the basements of some buildings in London. The pics below are of a Chubb vault in the basement of Old Mutual near Cannon Street station. The building I think used to belong to Credit Suisse and they kept all the gold bullion there. The gold has long gone!

Rumour has it that a member of staff was playing with the door handle / lock while it was shut and managed to lock it. They hadn't used it properly for years and the code / key was long gone, or they didn't know how to use it, so they just used the inner cage door. Problem being is they kept all the IT equipment in there and needed access. So they had a lock smith come out and decommission it. The little white sticker on the front reads ACE locksmiths, think they are London based?!

Darryl

IMAG1562 1

IMAG1563 1

IMAG1564 1

Thread Information