Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This might have been an attempt at deception. Trying to make a lock seem newer than it was.
    If you look at the 'R' , it looks to have been over stamped. I would think that, as it was a poor deception, the lock was discarded with its key.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

This could be a case of deception. If you look at the 'R', it appears to be over stamped also. The seller may have been trying to make the lock appear newer than it was by altering the Monarch. Then, having messed it up , thrown it away with it's key.

The lock was found within a marginalized household in Connecticut which makes this option unlikely. It could be that it was given to or sold to them after an attempt at modification as the original owner now found it worthless. Given that it was found in the United States I do not think the owners of the house it was found in would have attempted modification in an effort to increase its value. Sorry that I can not go into more detail on the circumstances of its finding, I had to request permission to post it online and part of that permission being granted was not providing specific details.

That is very interesting. Some prominant people who lived in Conneticut at the time, seem to have been very involved in the politcal scene in New York.. This style of padlock was also used on ballot boxes. A ballot box disappeared in Statton Island around the same time. Although found destroyed.
    Conspiracy theory?:)

Haha that would have been a very interesting form of resistance by the occupants of the area that the site was located in!

Russel & Erwin from New Britain, Conneticut have similar styles of Padlocks shown in
    their 1863 hardware and lock catalog.
    Some of the British locks like this were massive and measured just under 12 inches.
    I have some of these black iron/steel types of Padlocks with the VR and the brass keyhole
    Drop Plate used for protection from the elements. Some were finished with a baked Japaned layer of enamal paint.
    At a Cemetary I found one of these padlocks rusted to the railing leading up to the Church.
    There is also a set of British handcuff/legirons which uses a padlock to join one side of the cuffs. It has twisted links joining the 2 sides of the cuffs.

Default latch from padlock

I have found this latch near Kiev in Ukraine. Does anybody have information about the padlock?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails secure patent.jpg  

Thread Information