Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vintage U.S. Customs Locks

I have 2 Solid Bronze Padlocks, which say U.S. Customs on the front in BIG BOLD letters. On the back it says "Pat. Nov 19, 1889, May 19 1891" and "Made By Smith & Edge MFg Co., Bridgeport Connecticut". They have a round key hole in the botton with a thin slot, which would accomodate a round shafted key with a blade about .025 thick. On the side is a "cover" which opens to reveal 4 "wheels/Tumblers". The first "Tumbler" has a letter designation while the remaining 3 "Tumblers" have a number designation. Any information on how this lock works, age, worth, rarity, etc. would be helpful and appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	3094

Rob, as the patent date states these locks were used from the late 1800's into the early half of the 1900's with that cast design. The US postal service still uses locks very close to this yet today. I'm not sure just what the US customs service uses now. The counter in the window would advance 1 number every time the lock was opened thereby verifing if the locked bag or box was tampered with. The US custom locks like yours with the cast lettering and the window intact w/cover have been selling on Ebay for around $75-$100 & more if they have a origional or operating key. Nice locks to have in any collection, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by oldbiscuit View Post
    The US postal service still uses locks very close to this yet today.
    It was my impression that they have stopped using these on international registered mail, and are in the process of giving up counter locks on domestic registered mail. If so, presumably they are switching to serial-numbered plastic seals.

Does anybody know more about what the USPS is doing?

Jim

Jim, I was down at our local post office the other day talking to the postmaster and they are still using the lock with the counter for outgoing mail. I live in a little village of 300 people in Nebraska. Mark

117 East Main Street, Boyce, VA 22620-9639

Jim stated:
    Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    It was my impression that they have stopped using these on international registered mail, and are in the process of giving up counter locks on domestic registered mail. If so, presumably they are switching to serial-numbered plastic seals.
    International registered mail pouches were closed with twine and a lead seal. A rotary lock marked "U.S. INT'L MAIL" was used for registered mail to Canada. It is not clear when these were withdrawn from use but it seems to have occurred in the 1960s.

Domestic registered mail still has a rotary lock used, even though these are observed on eBay with the statement "no longer in use." Plastic seals are also utilized, which occurs when a rotary lock is not available.

There were some rotary locks that also had special keyings so that the pouches could pass through the Post Office Department/Postal Service activities but could not be opened by postal employees. For example, the U. S. Treasury Department had its own keying and these were used for shipments of currency to Federal Reserve Banks. The rotary locks look the same as any 'U.S. REG'D MAIL" padlock, but the letter prefix for the serial number stamped on the back are D, K, or T. These locks have been withdrawn from service and Treasury/Federal Reserve currency is no longer sent by registered mail.

I was at the Post Office Lock Shop in Washington, DC about 3 years ago and in the bottom floor they still make those counter locks. It is fairly obvious that when Smith & Egge went out of business the PO took over making them and that may be when/why other agencies stopped using them. According to my guide on the tour they typically make 25,000 of the counter locks every year.
    BBE.

Wow! Thanks guys..........You are a wealth of knowledge and information. I knew I came to the right forum.
    I'm going to attempt to impression a key for one of these. From what I'm reading, if I'm successful, it might work in the other lock as well. Has anyone had any experience with this, on this type of lock. A flat key from a Diebold Safe Deposit lock fits nicely. The inner (bottom) part of the key-way has a spring loaded lever in it. Any idea how this effects the lock, and/or opening of the lock??
    Thanks again......
    Rob

Default Mail Equipment Shops

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    I was at the Post Office Lock Shop in Washington, DC about 3 years ago and in the bottom floor they still make those counter locks.
    The Mail Equipment Shops (MES) at 2135 Fifth Street, NE, Washington, DC, was also the location where most of the rotary locks produced for the Post Office Department and other federal agencies were produced. During the past century at this location, the MES has alternated between repairing rotary locks, making new and fixing defectives, or only manufacturing new ones. These shifts have been driven by the postal budget for a given fiscal year and the changes in management perspectives about the cost-effectiveness of repairs versus new lock production.

At present besides the rotary locks, the only items produced at the MES are the "Arrow" locks and keys which are installed in street letter collection boxes, "modified Arrow" locks and keys which have a Medeco cylinder, "serial" locks which are the brass padlocks using a push-key that are marked "street letter box," and the keys for postal lock boxes.

As a postscript about "rotary" locks (marked "U.S. REG'D MAIL): about 1,000 seemed to have been produced as a test of outsourcing around the 1940s although no firm information has been found regarding the year. These were procured from Sargent & Greenleaf and had the same keying as a standard-use rotary lock. They are distinguishable by having the serial number prefix "BB," the guard over the rotary window having four cut-outs (an opening for each of the numbers), and a peened top edge of the case around the shackle collar casting.

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I'm going to attempt to impression a key for one of these [rotary locks].
    Be cautious in attempting to fit keys to postal locks that are not obsolete and considered to be in active use by the Postal Service. Despite what you may see listed on eBay regarding fitted or original keys, there is a federal law that prohibits producing a key that will open these locks. I can send a copy of that law as an email attachment upon request.
    Last edited by fscheer; 19-04-10 at 05:27 AM.

Thanks Frank, I hadn't considered the possibility of these locks still being in service, somewhere. Also, THANK YOU for the indepth reply on the rotary locks. It seems that the main user of these locks was the US Postal Service, with other agencies such as U.S. Customs not requiring as many. I wonder if this increases the value a bit??

Rob

Default Lock values

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    It seems that the main user of these locks was the US Postal Service, with other agencies such as U.S. Customs not requiring as many. I wonder if this increases the value a bit??
    Rob, I don't have a perspective on values. Much of value is driven by the number of collectors desiring an item relative to the available quantity. Theoretically, none of these government locks are supposed to exist in private collections. Consequently, they should all be scarce. However, USPS has had surplus property sales, as have other federal agencies. In my view, locks were mixed in with other materiel and sold, even though they weren't supposed to be.

Thread Information