Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Diebold Cannonball

Cannonball safes were made by quite a few companies and Diebold made their share. This is one I helped in opening with Arnie Foslien several years ago. As much as I like working on cannonballs it was a still a particularly nasty job. Major malfunction of the timelock. It was being used daily in a bank and was built into the vault wall. You can see the crew that removed it from the wall was not quite careful enough. This safe is a later version of the one pictured with the cracked body. It seems the earlier manganese versions were not tempered as well as the later ones when it came to resisting nitro attacks. Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0005.jpg   IMG_3048.JPG   IMG_3081.JPG   Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg   Untitled-Scanned-04.jpg  

Untitled-Scanned-06.jpg   Untitled-Scanned-08.jpg  

"Major malfunction of the timelock"? I'd be interested in details.

There was a cardinal rule that I followed after doing any work on bank vault timelocks. Put some time on the clocks and try it with the door open. Well, it seems a bank service technician either never heard of that rule or just ignored it. IIRC, he did not properly engage the connection of the TL to the automatic bolt motor so it never released the auto. That bank was one of several branches that were at the time still using cannonball safes with automatics on a daily basis. Way out in the sticks, up on the Canadian border almost into Manitoba.

It seems I forgot to post this picture of the damage done getting it out of wall. Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg  

Thread Information