Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default U.S. INT. REV. Canton Seal & Register Lock CO.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1012172.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	714.3 KB 
ID:	5089
    Hello from a new member on the New Jersey shore. I am a life long collector of many objects made locally from years past. I have a collection of padlocks that I am just now trying to research. I've included some pictures of my first padlock, given to me by my father some 50 plus years ago. I can't remember where he said he got it from but I can't ask him now... It's an all brass and heavy lock and matching key #3283 marked on both. It reads U.S. INT. REV. , Improved patent applied for, Canton Seal & Register Lock CO.,Patented January. 1.1878. Can anyone tell me some history and usage for this padlock? It's in great shape and works fine.Any help on current valuation would also be helpful. Thanks.
    Last edited by bvan7744; 01-12-11 at 11:53 PM.

Here is the patent

Can you take a picture of the covers moved open and closeups of those?

It was used by the US Government for Sealing bags and other things so they can tell for sure that nobody had opened it. Back that far the IRS was charged with taxing Rum.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Dean Nickel; 02-12-11 at 04:44 AM.

Default U.S. INT. REV. Canton Seal & Register Lock CO.

Thanks for the patent pictures and information. Here are some more pictures. I can send more if desired.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1012174.JPG   P1012176.JPG   P1012177.jpg   P1012178.jpg  

Thread Information