Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Can anyone ID this old padlock?

Arnall's The Padlock Collector (5th edition) describes this screw-key padlock as "1898 gun rack lock. Brass case, steel shackle....2 1/4 x 2." The 1898 date would suggest that it was made in the U.S. during the Spanish-American War. However, The P.M. Broach Assemblage (1975) shows the same lock, but describes it as a "Very well made German mail bag padlock used during World War I." Which is it? Add to all this, Eras' Locks and Keys Throughout the Ages (p. 47) shows a similar lock (slightly longer and less curved) that is described as English.

Any comments that would help me identify the country of origin or its date will be very much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG4178.JPG   CIMG4179.JPG  

Locks have been used for a great deal of things. It could be both and more. I remember someone telling me that these locks were used by utilities for valve locks. But I do not know for sure what the original use was.

Over the years I have seen many versions of this type of screw key padlock, both in different sizes and with different shackle shapes. I'm not sure of the exact origins, but I do have several pages from a 1901 french catalog from "Etrilles & Peignes" that shows a version of this lock. Also, this type of padlock is still being manufactured, the french company Deny-Fontaine shows one in their 2009 catalog, and calls it a "cadenas d'artillerie" (artillery padlock).

Adam

Thanks, Adam, for the additional information. Can you post the catalog pages? I'm curious why the one catalog calls it an artillery padlock. What does that mean?
    Scott

Default Artillary padlock

Hi Scott,

Here are some pics of the catalog pages I mentioned.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrCat.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	533.1 KB 
ID:	4793 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deny.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	870.8 KB 
ID:	4794

Also here is a pic of two types of screw key padlocks I have similar to the one you show. The paldock on the left appears to be exactly like yours and uses the same type of key. The one on the right is smaller (about 1/2 size) and uses a more fancy key. I think this is just like the one shown in the french 1901 catalog. An interesting feature of this smaller lock is that it is self-locking, it can be snaped shut after the screw key is removed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pad1.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	699.1 KB 
ID:	4795

I'm not entirely sure why the newer Deny catalog calls these artillary padlocks, but perhaps at one time they had a millitary application. I know there are industrial applications also, because I have seen many of these on ebay stamped with SNCF (acronym for the French National Railroad).

THANKS, Adam. The material you posted is very interesting! I'm unfamiliar with the French companies you mentioned. I'm always learning new things.
    Scott

At one US Civil War site I was doing restoration at, this padlock was shown to me.
    It was for locking the box the Canon Ammunition was in.
    The problem was that it was never used in the field.

Thread Information