Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Good day

Default Good day

New member, came across the forum whilst looking into some chubb locks i’ve picked up. Former career was as a commercial diver,now retired from that and am now a residential landlord.
    Have an interest in things that had a practical purpose from the 1850’s to mid 1900’s. Currently Oertling beam scales pique my interest. Locks came into it as many of the bits i gather come in old wooden boxes with locks but no keys, after a bit of trial and error i can produce a simple key for a basic lock.
    Whilst planning to build a display case i found a job lot of 1890’s cabinet locks, which will be incorporated into it at some point.
    And i recently picked up 3 larger drawer/ cabinet locks from same era, cheap as chips as they have no keys, so will be seeking suitable blanks to have a go myself.
    All the best phil

Welcome Philip

Default welcome and cutting keys by hand

Welcome!
    If you need key blanks
    https://www.morlandslocks.co.uk/gb/
    can probably help you.
    However, lever keys use wire gauge sizes, and you will need the correct size blank for Chubb cabinet locks, including locks using pipe keys. Keys, and locks, are made in many sizes; locksmiths use a gauge like this for measuring keys — there are other gauges for measuring pin tumbler keys and pins:
    https://www.lockstation.co.uk/mortic...guage-keygauge
    It is not that easy to find online instructions for fitting lever lock keys by hand. Most instructions are for US locks (they also call a locking lever handle a 'lever lock' :-( ).
    A vice, some flat needle files, and a candle wil be useful; also some spare blanks. There is a good chance you will not make it right first time, just start again.
    Some, mostly older, diy books describe the procedure. Or have a word with a friendly local locksmith if you have one within reach.

Thread Information