Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Mosler vault door on eBay

FYI there is a nice-looking Mosler vault door for sale on eBay. Unfortunately bidding starts at $50,000 and it's local pickup only. It isn't clear if the auction includes the door frame.

Mosler Vault Door | eBay

Not only does it start at $50000 but it also has a higher reserve. I suppose that optimism is a virtue but what are the chances that one day they will end up paying for a scrap dealer to cut it up and take it away?

Odds are it will stay where it is. Several years ago I made a cross country trip and found tons of vault doors in everything from what are now restaurants, bars, art galleries,apartments, even a fish market. In many cases the new tenants were glad to have them. I found several that were just walled up. Based on what I have seen there are hundreds, and more likely thousands of unused old bank doors here in the U.S. The desire to remove one is tempered once the quote for removal is given. "But hey maybe we can sell it on Ebay to pay for the job. And maybe make money on top of it." It is a nice door. Looks to be 15-20" thick, early 1900's. In terms of real security the price isn't really out line when compared to buying a whole lot of TLTR-30X6 safes. That is assuming it comes with the jamb. Otherwise it is just metal art or as you said, scrap yard metal . Here is a spectacular turn of the century HHM found in downtown Providence, R.I.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 005_5.JPG   006_6.JPG   010_10.JPG  

Just moving it is a scary idea and I know those who do that type of work and they are a rare person that can move them. I have heard of some killed by being crushed by a door. It is a good thing they want as much as they do as they will not sell it at that price to an idiot.

Default Mossler vault door

Nice vault door. Shame about the Mickey Mouse money!!

Over the pond (UK) we seldom see such artistry on a vault door. Normally most here are made to be an out of sight of public product. Functionable....

We as a rule pull em out for scrap & get this....we charge to remove said appendage.

What a crazy world we live in!!

Russell Stoner
    Withy Grove (Leeds) Ltd
    t: 044 (0) 113 2721441
    www.wgsafesonline.com

Quote Originally Posted by Halflock View Post
    Just moving it is a scary idea and I know those who do that type of work and they are a rare person that can move them.
    One of my favorite company names is "Death Wish Piano Movers." They also move safes but of course this vault door would be entirely out of their expertise.

Thread Information