Quote Originally Posted by jacobrules View Post
No offense intended, I'm just jealous. It's my own fault I should have been in it for more but you just keep getting so darn lucky on this one.
In general I tend to have my share of luck. Not always, but enough. I could tell you some stories...

Given the now-established fact that there is no Type 3 in the Miller collection (despite the claim in the book), and given these amazing photos of what one of these looked like when it left the factory, I'm going to take a shot at restoring it to whatever extent possible, even if only cosmetically. If this is the only one in existence, I can easily budget $500-1,000 for my local machine shop to replace those rusted fasteners, make a sheet metal template for replacing the missing glass door window & polish the exposed metal. I would never attempt this myself because I lack both the tools & the experience & there are too may pitfalls possible: a 140-year-old screw head breaks off & needs to be drilled out, etc. The shop is only a few miles away & they have done great work for me in the past on restoring antique railroad searchlight signal mechanisms. It will be an interesting project. I'm retired so I have all the time in the world to devote to interesting projects like this.