Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Diebold Tisco Prototype

Here are some pictures of another Diebold Tisco prototype. 46 hour dials, Art Deco style see page 256-257 Am Gen. The only new info I have is that the mainspring attachment tab says "Waterbury Clock Co." I think the dates in my camera need some work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1103.jpg   100_1106.jpg   100_1112.jpg   100_1115.jpg  

Every once in while I realize that there are some older posts that deserve a look at and this is one that has always bothered me. Here is a second example of what is apparently not just a prototype time lock. I have my doubts it was made by Diebold and is definitely not from the TISCO era nor is it Art Deco. Art Noveau maybe. None of the TISCO (Taylor Iron And Steel Co.) era cast manganese steel 1900-1920's cannonball safes I know of have a 46? or 48 hr timelock. So my guess is more likely 1880's or 90's. What do you think? Doug

Default Tisco

Yeah probably not a Diebold since it has Waterbury clock co. stamped inside it. I talked to John Erroll about it once and he said Waterbury must have made a try at the timelock market at one time. The guy I got it from said that there is another one installed in a bank vault door in his hometown. He was a locksmith not a safe and vault guy but he was in the northern midwest. I can't remember if it was Minnesota or Michigan. I don't think anyone at the Mossman Collection has ever opened the one they have. I labeled it as such when I posted to try and get some attention at it but didn't get much response.

The more I look at it, the older it gets. My guess is that it's lower hook held the lever up on a combination lock and predates the "Automatic" era starting in the 1890's. I have found that there were quite a few companies from the 1800's that remain virtually unknown today. For example there was a safe and lock maker in Milwaukee in the mid 1800's named Schumacher and Johnson that patented both a keylock in 1859? and a comb lock in 1868? but a call to a major older Milwaukee safe company resulted in their never even hearing of the older company. But I know for a fact the company did exist and made safes as well. Do you think you can found out about the bank vault maker? Doug

Default Waterbury

I sent a message to the guy I got the timelock from and don't have a reply as of yet.

Thread Information