Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Restored 14 Inch Meilink

Just finished this little guy. Has a handle on the top. Dial has letters. Hope you enjoy the picts!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meilink14A.JPG   Meilink14FaceSide.JPG   Meilink14Open.JPG   Meilink14SideBack.JPG   Meilink14Side.JPG  

Can you take a closer pic of the dial? Also by chance you have a pic of the insides of the lock?

NICE work!

Will do...

Not positive if the dial is original...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meilink14Dial.JPG   Meilink14LockBox.JPG  

Not sure I care outside that it looks great. Letter dials were not a common thing so it is cool to see one.

I wonder if Dvorak ever made a dial.... LOL

I've not seen one before that had the square block on the outside under the dial....any reason for it?

Hi Tom...i think maybe it was broken open at one point. It was (when i got it) a crusty dark redish-brown. This redish-brown paint had been applied a long time ago. There was no sign of original color under the crusty paint so whoever repainted it must have removed all original first...many times the original striping and colors can be found and therefore matched when restoring. There was a screw in the back with the head of the screw on the inside and the back of the screw hole was filled in and smoothed and painted over. Which was (my guess) a hole that was drilled to get into it. There were signs near the lock area that showed it had been broken into and rewelded...the safe is gone now from my shop...otherwise i'de post pictures.

Many of these had key rather than com locks on - any chance of a swapover having happened?

Meilink was started in 1899? and was not but a couple hours from Cleveland so I have seen and worked quite a few over the years. None of the stand up safes used a key lock that I know of and they used a couple different comb locks. But that lock and dial looks a whole lot like a MacNeale Urban. Still a nice job on it anyway. Doug

The exception that proves the rule?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails meilink.jpg  

Thread Information