Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Studebaker Coincidental Lock

Being new to this forum I am not sure if anyone will appreciate this Patent Automotive Lock.

It came into my shop about 7 years ago and I have not seen anything like it before or since.

Anyway someone may have further info.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1100002.JPG   P1100004.JPG   P1100006.JPG   P1100007.JPG   P1100008.JPG  

You might want to get a copy of Collectors Guide Antique Classic Marque Car Keys by the late Don Stewart, published by The Locksmith Publishing Corp. Although your exact lock is not shown there are many similar devices pictured. There is mention of Oakes Products Co., Div. of Houdaille Hersey in Chicago, IL as an automobile lock manufacturer as found in a 1929/1930 directory. I suspect they may have some connection to the manufacturer of your lock. Hope this helps a little.

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    You might want to get a copy of Collectors Guide Antique Classic Marque Car Keys by the late Don Stewart, published by The Locksmith Publishing Corp. Although your exact lock is not shown there are many similar devices pictured. There is mention of Oakes Products Co., Div. of Houdaille Hersey in Chicago, IL as an automobile lock manufacturer as found in a 1929/1930 directory. I suspect they may have some connection to the manufacturer of your lock. Hope this helps a little.

Pete Schifferli
    Thanks Pete

Yes I would be interested in getting a copy of that book. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I have been slowly building my library however I have not heard of that book before.

Will ask neighbor as he did work for Studebaker for 35 years and is part of the car club locally.

Thread Information