Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default A Few Chubb Patent Detector Locks

Here's a few I've managed to find-the older 57 St.Paul's Churchyard lock is definitely the nicest of the three.
    Note on the other two later locks the 'Maker's to His Majesty' on the one, and 'Her Majesty' on the other.

Could only find one Hobb's at the moment and it's not actually a Patent lock, but I've included it anyway since Dicey mentioned how clear some of these old locks were marked- these later Hobb's cabinet locks had noticeably deep stampings, and combined with their characteristic 'H' shaped window cut in the cover, makes for an attractive lock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chubbs1.jpg   Chubbs2.jpg   Chubbs3.jpg   Hobbs1.jpg   Hobbs2.jpg  

Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 12-09-13 at 11:06 AM. Reason: ooops......57 St.Paul's- not 58....

The Chubb that starts with 44 was made around 1865, 126 was made around 1892 and the last Chubb 154 is about 1910 from my reckoning, Peter Gunn can give you the numbers in better detail, he owns the Chubb Archive website.

All of the Chubbs you have are the "Definitive" patent and are by far the most common found, this was the last design of the detector locks that Chubb made, most are of an average quality whilst few are of the very top quality reserved for the most (Shall I say) deserving customers, the top quality locks were usually for customers with a bit more disposable income to spend on such higher quality items.

I am lucky to own a top quality Chubb Detector lock from 1873 and it is like new, perfect in every way, it looks and acts like new, I expect your 44 to be one of these, I can't say for sure but I suspect that it is.

the others are quite common but I would get some keys made for them, there is no point owning a lock unless it has a key, most of us keep keyless locks in our collections just waiting to have one made for them, it's just adds to the appeal to play with it every now and then.

If you don't know much about the famous Chubb Detector Locks just search for it on here, there is a great wealth of information on them, if you have the time read up on "The great lock controversy".

Kit

Thread Information