Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Cleaning antique steel box

Hi Paul. Nice website. Bit complicated at first for ole fogies like me. What is BBCode? Poll??? whats that?

Anyway, here's my post:

I have a couple of small steel chests - trick locking - does anyone have an idea how or IF I should clean them? I'm tempted to get the Soval Autosol out (which is an abrasive cream) but don't know if I will affect their value. One is from Peter Phillips collection circa 17th century and was expensive and hopefully fairly valuable.

Default Cleaning etc

I think we met at the auction, I found the trigger that opened one of those boxes when someone was looking at them ??

Anyway, check out the FAQ in the menu at the top of the page, that should answer some of your technical questions about the board.

As for cleaing the box - that ' dirt ' is what expensive antique dealers call patina !!! I woud leave well alone as the value would be reduced with such pieces, a more modern patent lock is a different matter of course.

Paul

Default Patina

Thanks Paul. Yes we did meet briefly at Sotherby's.

Yes patina... true. I'll just keep giving it a light dusting then.....but I want to see it SHINEY.

Thread Information