Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Chubb 175th Anniversary Edition Safe

Hi all,
    If you read my previous post as a newbe to the site, you will have read that I was lucky enough to win the 1931 Round Door Chubb safe that was the prize at the MLA Expo in Telford in September, thanks to the generosity of Gunnebo.
    I am about to post some pics of this great piece of Chubb's Engineering in the 1930s. Hope that you enjoy looking at this safe. While I am writing this, I would like to thank Gunnebo for putting this safe up for the draw, the guy's that restored the safe and the guy's who did the terrific paint job. Many thanks again to all concerned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 2.JPG   Picture 1.JPG   Picture 3.jpg  

I like the round door!

Is the paint work re-done like it once was?

Hi Darryl,
    The paintwork was specially designed for the 175th anniversary complete with logo's. I don't know what colour it was when it was new, but perhaps there may be someone can tell us. I believe these were designed for either the Co-Op dairies or United Daries and were nicknamed the Milkchurn safe (hence the round door). I would also like to know what the correct name of this type of safe was when it was manufactured. Can anyone help ?

Nice win! Love the top.

Does the boltwork slide or shoot?

Hi Tom,
    The boltwork rotates around the door, I have seen boltwork working up and down but never around the door before. Do you have any knowledge of this model of safe ? because I am having difficulty finding out the original model type when in production.
    Cheers
    Tim

Whereas Chatwood made the Chatwood bomb for Northern Dairies (a round door with round shoot bolts but otherwise based on the American onepiece cylindrical cast body), chubb then made this traditional boxlike safe but with an American type of door for the Coop dairies. Why dairies needed one off American influenced safes I do not know. No other round door safe on this scale, was made with radial shooting bolts.

Tom,
    Many thanks for information. It's nice to know some of the history about this type of safe, as I have not seen this configeration of boltwork before.
    Whether american inspired or not, its a fine piece of mechanical engineering.

If you think that is great engineering-look at this!

http://www.antique-locks.com/adverti...liss-safe.html

Thats really great but I don't like the wheels !!!!

Thread Information