Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cast steel safe

Default Screws

Hi Darryl

You raised a question about the screw threads.

In the early days, many screws/bolts will have been made by hand before the Whitworth thread became the norm. Have you checked to see if they are Whitworths?

Good to catch up again.
    Russell

Withy Grove (Leeds) Ltd
    t: 044 (0)113 2721441
    www.wgsafesonline.com

Quote Originally Posted by darryl.k View Post
    I have taken the escutcheon off although unfortunately it is incomplete. This shouldn't be too much of a problem as I shall make the missing brass part that I guess slides up and down?!?

It has very distinctive lines scribed round the edges. I have the spring that pushes the lever back and the original screws to attach it to the front of the safe.

Does any one know what it would of looked like and how the mechanism works? My knowledge is quite poor around escutcheons.

Attachment 5266 Attachment 5267 Attachment 5268 Attachment 5269 Attachment 5270
    Last edited by Russell Stoner; 19-01-12 at 09:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Hi Russell, Thanks for the reply. Yes I have tried Whitworth thread gauges and various others. I think as they are very rough and inconsistent they were hand cut. The long lost skill of cutting a tap's flutes with a hand file is too time consuming, so I shall clean up the threads with a needle file under an eye glass and best match them to the holes. Once they are in they won't be coming out for years to come. I visit many engineering companies and I don't think I know of any one who would know how to hand cut a thread any more, all done by pre machined taps and machines now, shame I'd love to learn. Many thanks, Darryl

Now started making the brass parts for the escutcheon. Any comments on how to finish it off i.e. engraving or a pattern?

Also made the warded key for the draw. I ordered a another pipe safe key from SKS although a tiny one this time and set to work chopping bits off and cutting it to shape. This one is slightly different to the larger one I did in the fact that end on it has a 'hook' or 'S' shape to it. Very satisfying once I finally got it fitted and working.

IMAG1996 1

IMAG1998 1

IMAG1983 1

IMAG1994 1

IMAG1984 1

IMAG1989 1
    Last edited by darryl.k; 18-03-12 at 11:07 PM. Reason: add photo

Default Update October 2012!!!

Ok, so its been a while since I've paid this safe some attention. Although you will all be glad to know its for a good reason. I've just bought a lathe and milling attachment. So if you want some thing making / modifying you know where to come, brass, metal, plastic, square or round!

Now I have a lathe I can pretty much make any missing parts or repair existing parts. I needed a new door handle for this safe. Admittedly I did cheat a little on this one. Rather than turn a knob from solid bar, my friend had a door handle just the right size and solid, not those cheap horrible hollow ones. So with a bit of modification this is what I did......

IMAG2785 1

IMAG2787 1

IMAG2792 1

Default Milling machine

Hi Darrell

Like you i have been rather lazy... i'm back to add a bit more Brit into the site. Sorry to youse guys over the pond. We need more UK interjection!!

Great to see the miller in action. I'm sure that you will get orders for Pivot hinge pins by the bucket full.

I'm now back to safe renovations

Keep up the good work

Russell

Withy Grove (Leeds) Ltd
    t: 0113 2721441

Very nice work!

Thread Information