Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Thames padlock

James88 Guest

Default Thames padlock

Hi,
    I recently came across this padlock on the Thames foreshore near Rotherhithe. It is inscibed with the name J.DUDIN & SONS, whom I understand to have been Thames Lightermen (licenced to carry goods on the river) and Granery keepers. Several generations of Dudin's are recorded from the late 1700's to mid 1800's. (I am continuing with my research to try and pin down a more exact date). Does anyone know anything about old locks of this type? It appears to be constructed from either iron or steel, held together by brass pins peened over at the ends. Having been buried in the mud it doesn't appear to be very rusty, although it is covered in a hard, clay like substance both on the inside to some extent, and out. I was thinking about getting it professionly restored, although I'm not sure if it would be worth the cost and effort. I would hence appreciate any info with regards to age, design or potential worth!

Regards,

James

P.S. There doesn't appear to be a great deal of collector interest in the UK with regards to old locks and the like, which I find surprising. Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails padlock.jpg  

The lock is of the style known as ' Barge Padlocks ' so your ID & date is probably about right, although I would say it will be towards the later end of the range as it appears to be made with the assitance of machinery rather than a fully hand made lock.

Value - Nil.

There is a small lock collecting community in the UK. I would suggest you contact Tony Beck via this site for further info.

Iron and steel need both water and oxygen to rust. As this probably fell into the deep mud and was covered over quickly, it will have been kept damp but without much oxygen, since the bacteria down there are mostly anerobic, and any oxygen there was will have been rapidly used by the other, aerobic bugs, rather than left free to eat the metal.

If you want to clean it, penetrating oil will get a lot off it, but mud tends to be more soluble in water. Give it a blast with the jetwasher, then, if you have one, an ultrasonic cleaner will bring it to a shine.

Immediately after, get it warm for a while to drive off the water, then give it a spray of oil to stop further rust.

James88 Guest

Thanks for that. I haven't done anything with it yet. Seems to be fairly stable at the mo'. I'll post an update soon with regards to my 'DUDIN' research. Interesting though!

Regards,

James

James88 Guest

Thanks very much.
    What's a barge padlock? Would this have been a special design for use on barges or river craft? I understand the Dudin family to have been grannery keepers as well as lightermen. Perhaps there is a connection there? Interested to know more if anyone can add anything.

James

Thread Information