Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Knock-detecting locks

Some of you might be familiar with the S&G "Pulsetronic" safe lock which detected a series of "knocks" from a keypad. It was nice because the door did not need a spindle hole (but still needed a hole for the boltwork handle). S&G marketed these from about 2000 to maybe 2005 then quietly dropped them. The locks are still made but not marketed aggressively (and not by S&G).

The reason for this post is that a few people have re-invented this in a DIY/kluge manner and posted videos on YouTube. Do a search for "secret knock detecting" (without the quotes).

I thought that it would be a great way to retrofit a more secure type of locking on antique safes, that is practical to use and entirely hidden - shame about it's reliability.

More secure? I thought the older English keylocks were secure. Anyway, I didn't pick up a "Knock" lock when they came out but I do have a brand new "Scrambler". Interested? And I know I have that S&G ad somewhere. The problem is where. Doug

I think the reliability problem was a result if the safe door being insulated would muffle the knock and the lock wouldn't operate since it misinterpreted the knock. An Isreali product that is still sold today but for door lock applications and typically the lock is installed on the jamb. Look for Knock-n-Lock or PulseCode.
    BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    I thought that it would be a great way to retrofit a more secure type of locking on antique safes, that is practical to use and entirely hidden - shame about it's reliability.

Master Lock is selling these as door locks, see Master LockŪ PulseCode - Home

Keylocks have their advantages (well we tend to think this, over here), but it can often be VERY useful to have key and com together.
    Maybe you are having a safetech challenge at a lock show when it would be fun to have a "secret" additional lock fitted.
    Relevent to people here though, if you have a beautiful antique safe, which is minus it's uniquely footprinted lock or never had a decent lock fitted originally, this is another situation where this lock would be great.

I had two of the S&G locks on my safe. I got one for the safe and one as backup. For a few years it was ok and then the first one failed. Got it open and fitted the second one. There wasn't anything on the door but steel so sound getting thru wasn't a problem. The computer just failed. I still think it is a good idea but it needs to be worked with better electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Halflock View Post
    I still think it is a good idea but it needs to be worked with better electronics.
    This is why I'm skeptical and old-fashioned about locks. I prefer mechanical ones, though I have an X-07 on a display stand (and only for display). I tell people "electronic locks have no soul".

As with anything workmanship is something we are losing. You look at locks made in 1900 and then locks made in 2000 and you will see that the locks made 100 years ago are better made and will last over time. Today I am lucky to get a lock that will last 25 years. House locks you are lucky if they last 5-10 years. The electronic locks would work better and last longer if the engineers were trained to build for rough handling like heavy traces and better protection of wires and such. Not the "lets see how cheap we can make it".

Electronics is here just like the dial safe lock of 160 years ago. In time they will work out some of it.... but I don't think to the same level as they did on the dial locks.

Quote Originally Posted by Halflock View Post
    The electronic locks would work better and last longer if the engineers were trained to build for rough handling like heavy traces and better protection of wires and such.
    They also need to design security devices with security in mind. There have been too many successful supermagnet attacks, see The $300 Lock You Can Break in Seconds - Forbes for example. Or even paper clips: Defcon Lockpickers Open Card-And-Code Government Locks In Seconds - Forbes. Designers might eventually get it right with one particular lock, but these days a completely new product gets built and marketed before its predecessor can mature.

Thread Information