Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thank you NKT. I post more detailed pictures of the safe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magaud_Charf_Safe_Box_8.jpg   Magaud_Charf_Safe_Box_7.jpg   Magaud_Charf_Safe_Box_6.jpg   Magaud_Charf_Safe_Box_5.jpg   Magaud_Charf_Safe_Box_4.jpg  

Very interesting. You can clearly see the rightmost key needs to be inserted then turned 90 degrees to the left (CCW) to fit through the slots that can be seen behind.

I wonder if there is actually anything secret about this lock? Is the entire thing just based on the weird shape of the keyhole? If so, then a good CAD model of the left keyhole would be enough to get you a duplicate key. Send the model to a waterjet or laser cutting workshop (laser is probably best, but the depth might be too high with the accuracy you need) and have them laser cut a block of soft steel to the same shape, then braze it to a shaft. This will get you a long way towards having a working key, if not a working key from the off.

Default Re: French Safe - Marseille - Magaud Charf

I know it is almost 2 years later but this info might be of use.
    I have a similar safe, same company, same rivets, but single door and smaller aprx. 1.3mX1mx.8m
    I have the luxury of having two of the tree keys and am able to open the door. The way the system works is as follows.
    The first line of defense is that the rivets slide over to cover the key holes. On my safe there is no brass plate and the keyholes are behind false rivets that are symmetrically placed to the others.
    The second step is that you need to place the smaller key (first on right) and engage it in order to unlock the other two false rivets and lift a lever that prevents the middle key (the one that retracts the 8 point locking system) from entering the lock. As a previous post mentions, you can place the key in the hole but can not turn it to the left in order t enter the lock.
    the third key (first on the left) is straight forward and basically works like a door handle retracting a latch that returns to its position when you release the key. The door can be closed without retracting the latch.

I am also trying to find a way to make a copy of the first key (small one on the right) If you found a way that works well please let me know. I figure in my case the best way is to take out the lock and send it to a locksmith that specializes in such locks.

When you do get yours open If you are lucky you will also find some nice woodwork including false bottom.

By the way I am working on this safe now and believe that the frame is wood, as I can see on the door.
    Hope this is helpful if you have any info on the date and or the co. that made these please let me know.

Thank you. Very interesting. Any chance of seeing some photographs please?
    R

If you have a look at the reference made above by sparkeyskey to the othe marseille strongbox reference you will find a note by me regarding the similar strongbox I came across in Cairo Egypt. I would be very happy to help with photographing this for you which is complete with its three keys. I am sure that the box is iron. It has a metal lining inside over a wooden frame. The three keys on my box work in a similar way to the three keys described in one of the articles above. It is clear with my box that the central large key was not used as the locking elements for this have seized into place and will need releasing. The box was being locked using only the left hand simple latch; this key works easily in its lock. If you work on opening just this left hand simple lock your door may open. Who knows you may even find the other two keys inside! Please let us know what happened with your box, and whether you got it open.

I know someone who asked me to sell one of these Brevetes S.G.D.G, Sauve & Magaud, Marseille safes for him. Is this thing rare? Any infortmation is appreciated.

Hello,

My family have one of these safes however I do not know much about it. I've been reading through the posts here and can see there are some very helpful people around here. The reason I joined is try and find out more information about the safe and it's value. We have all three keys to safe. It's been sprayed but the paint is coming off. The true colour of the safe is dark grey/brown. Iron?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-02-28 12.42.39.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	649.4 KB 
ID:	14015

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-02-28 12.41.26.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	14016

Thank you for your help. I will get some pics of the keys and post them on here, also the size of the safe.

Thank you for your input :)

Kristal

Default we have the same safe, in Malta. we want to sell it.

The same safe, without the keys.
    Mechanic licksmith opened the safe with tools, by bending the metal.

He said that any mechanic can bend it back on its position, but first the key must be made or lock changed.

It is very heavy, around 300kg or so.

If you buy it please also pay for transportation.
    We sell it in funds raising for Syrian refugees in Malta.

We ask EUR 1500 for the safe and whatever else transportation will cost.
    0035679537074 whatsapp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG-20151116-WA0006.jpeg   IMG-20151116-WA0008.jpeg   IMG-20151116-WA0010.jpeg  

Thread Information