Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Francis Pye's Time Lock

This lock is described on p. 64: 'Pye did patent a bank lock in 1846 (Footnote #41).' The information about this is found in Footnote #40 on p. 347: US4406 7 March 1846. The patent number is correct; the Footnote numbering is not.

On p. 66 the book states 'Prior to Pye's 1851 Gold Medal, patents were issued for time locks to Rutherford in England (Footnote #42) and to Savage in 1847 in the United States (Footnote #43).' However the Rutherford patent referred to in Footnote #42 on p. 347 (US6105) is an 1849 US patent for a boiler water feeder and not a lock. The patent to Savage referenced in Footnote #43 is given as US5321, which is correct (9 October 1847). The Rutherford patent may be a UK (GB) patent. The full name of this inventor appears to be Williams Rutherford. I have been unable to access this patent reference on the EPO. Does anyone have this?

Jack

Default Albert Betteleys's Safe Lock

This is described on p. 70. '...Betteley was awarded a patent for his design in 1852 (Footnote #53)'. This corresponds to the misnumbered Footnote #52 on p. 347 for patent US8918 6 April 1852. However, this patent is for an agricultural boiler from a different inventor patented on 4 May 1852, not a lock. Assuming that the publish date was correct & only the patent number was wrong, I manually searched the patents issued on that date & found only US8851 to Betteley but I'm not certain this patent refers to the lock shown on pp. 70-71 as Footnote #52 refers to the patent being titled 'Door Lock' while US8851 is only titled 'Lock.' It is, however, a lock for a safe or vault. Albert Betteley was a pretty prolific inventor so the book may be referencing a different patent of his. I'd appreciate it if anyone can supply additional lock patent numbers from this inventor.

Jack

Default Henry Covert's Combination Lock

Described on p. 96, 3 patents are referenced in Footnote #1 (p. 348) (Chapter 3):

US18228 - 15 Sept 1857 (correct patent)
    US21685 - 5 Oct 1858 - patent for 'card clothing' to another inventor. Assuming that the issue date was correct, I found the correct patent as US21655 'Cam for Throwing Bolt in Locks'
    US23222 - 1 March 1859 - patent for 'folding bedstead' to another inventor issued 8 March 1859. No Covert patent found by searching 1 March 1859 manually. Can anyone supply the correct reference?

Jack

Default L H Miller's Bank Lock

Described on p.102, 'Also in 1858, a bank lock was patented by L H Miller (Footnote#32)'. On p. 349 it is not clear what Footnote 32 corresponds to because the footnotes are almost consistently misnumbered. However, my files show that L H Miller was issued a patent US21689 on 3 October 1858 for A 'Permutation Lock' & the mechanism described appears to be similar to that shown in the photos in the book.

Jack

Jack, in your haste to point out errors in the book, you are making them yourself. The L.H. Miller footnote is 22 not 32, and correctly shows the patent number and date. I have been a bit busy lately but I will try to double check your previous postings for accuracy. Or should I say scholarship. Ha Ha Doug

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

Jack, of the 3 patents listed for Covert on p. 348, I have only the first two which you have found. No patent shows up in the 1859 U.S. Pat Office Index listing for a Covert lock and I do not know where this 1859 date came from. The second incorrect patent listed in the footnote was 21,865, not 21,685 and that was for a clock escapement. Doug

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Jack, I have only 1 Betteley patent, at least in my organized info, and that is the # 8851 you found. There are no other lock patents listed for Betteley in the 1852 index and although the patent shows a different 5 lever lock, the 12 lever shown in the book is based on it. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    Jack, in your haste to point out errors in the book, you are making them yourself. The L.H. Miller footnote is 22 not 32, and correctly shows the patent number and date. I have been a bit busy lately but I will try to double check your previous postings for accuracy. Or should I say scholarship. Ha Ha Doug
    Thanks again for pointing out my minor errors, Doug. I'm a senior citizen & even with near 20/20 vision after multiple eye surgeries I still need a magnifying lens to read those tiny (& faint) footnote numbers. Twenty-three vs 33? Give me a break, please.

I've demonstrated that this book has multiple errors. I wouild hope that you would contribute to my efforts & provide the subscribers here with an accurate & complete list of corrected errors for their future reference. And 'ha, ha' yourself, Doug. I'm sure you meant nothing negative or personal by that comment & neither do I.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

Default Henry Covert's Combination Lock

No Covert patent found by searching 1 March 1859 manually. Can anyone supply the correct reference?
    Jack.

Hello Jack.
    The reference to 1 March 1859,is an addition to the 1857 patent. The claim was-
    " The combination of the disc and centre,toothed or corrugated,as represented,for the purpose of fastening them securely together;but I do not confine myself to any particular size,or shape,or number of teeth,nor to any particular position on the disc centre."

This additional claim was incorporated into the re-issue of the patent on 12, July 1864.

Hope this helps you and other collectors.
    Regards.
    Patent.

Quote Originally Posted by Patent View Post
    No Covert patent found by searching 1 March 1859 manually. Can anyone supply the correct reference?
    Jack.

Hello Jack.
    The reference to 1 March 1859,is an addition to the 1857 patent. The claim was-
    " The combination of the disc and centre,toothed or corrugated,as represented,for the purpose of fastening them securely together;but I do not confine myself to any particular size,or shape,or number of teeth,nor to any particular position on the disc centre."

This additional claim was incorporated into the re-issue of the patent on 12, July 1864.

Hope this helps you and other collectors.
    Regards.
    Patent.
    Thank you. And the Reissue patent mentioned is number RE1725.

Jack
    Last edited by Jack Sullivan; 13-08-11 at 07:32 AM.

Page 350 second picture down says that its a Chubb 3G114 when its a 3U114

Thanks for that one Patent. I have been wondering about that one for several years now. And Jack, it is not personal at all. I just don't get how you, as yet, have had nothing good to say about the book. Generally, critiques on books are done after a book is completely read. And better to be done by someone who has a more complete understanding of the particular subject. It is a fantastic book even with all of of its errors. Doug

---------- Post added at 07:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

The Evans and Watson lock on page 67 was patented by Rickards and Flanders, Dec. 16, 1851, #8,593. Doug

Thread Information