Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Australia Safe Plaque

Hi All,

I'm trying to get some info on this plaque for a friend, We are pretty sure it is from the Bank of NSW's 25 ton door. His dad used to work as a cleaner at the bank and when it was demolished he souvenired this plaque.

What we would like to know is if there is any way of traceing the numbers on the back to that particular safe and also are these plaques of any value?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Shayne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chubb-face-plate-1.jpg  

Available in both brass and chrome/nickel plated brass, they were fairly common in Ozzieland on safes and perhaps vaults too. They probably all say No. 12b although the other stamp varies slightly. You will not ID the safe from the plaque. I would give you £25+postage which is probably the most they would go for on ebay.
    Cheers
    Old Tom

I very much doubt it would have come off the main vault door, such doors are huge & they usually have very large plates too.

That is Chubb australia's std plate of the time & could have come from almost any small safe in their range.

Default Re: Australia Safe Plaque

Hi Shayne

Your Chubb plate, appears to have belonged to a Chubb Standard, c1910. If the safe was still around, it woulkd also have a thin plate on the door back pan.

I am aiming to find out a little more info from contacts here in the uk.

Look forward to hearing from you
    Regards
    Russell Stoner

Quote Originally Posted by Arn
    Hi All,

I'm trying to get some info on this plaque for a friend, We are pretty sure it is from the Bank of NSW's 25 ton door. His dad used to work as a cleaner at the bank and when it was demolished he souvenired this plaque.

What we would like to know is if there is any way of traceing the numbers on the back to that particular safe and also are these plaques of any value?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Shayne

Thread Information