Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Star Scandinavian Padlock info

I am cataloging my collection. Along with color photos, I am writing as much as I can on each lock and its maker. Below is some of the information I've found on Hillebrand & Wolf and the Star Lock Works. I may decide to publish all my research if there appears to be much interest in it.

The Star Lock Works of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania was founded in 1836 by Conrad Liebrich, an immigrant from Germany. In addition to padlocks his firm produced trunk locks that were marked "C. Liebrich, Phila." After his retirement in 1869, his two partners, Louis Hillebrand and Daniel Wolf, adopted the name Star Lock Works. Upon the death of Mr. Wolf and the retirement of Mr. Hillebrand, Wolf's two sons, William and Louis, took over the business. The company continued until 1926.

Scandinavian padlocks came in a variety of sizes and were produced by a number of manufacturers. Those produced by the Star Lock Works are easily identified by the star surrounding the keyway. A Star Works catalog with only the name of Louis Wolf (no date) showed the padlocks with a small star on the side also. (These apparently are of a later date.)

The series of dots within the star at the bottom of the lock are the code for the angle cuts. One dot means no angle cuts, two dots a half angle cut and three dots a full angle cut.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG3500.JPG   CIMG3497.JPG  

Thank you very much. I learned a good deal from this post.

Default Full of information! Thank you!

I think I have a Star Scandinavian lock, very old. It is stamped USVCO. How could I find out if the initials stand for United States Volunteer CO? Or am I way off? I am searching for information about this lock, and when I google USVCO, what comes up first is Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders. If you wouldn't mind suggesting how to find information about the lock, I'd sure appreciate your help. Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Klemm View Post
    I am cataloging my collection. Along with color photos, I am writing as much as I can on each lock and its maker. Below is some of the information I've found on Hillebrand & Wolf and the Star Lock Works. I may decide to publish all my research if there appears to be much interest in it.

The Star Lock Works of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania was founded in 1836 by Conrad Liebrich, an immigrant from Germany. In addition to padlocks his firm produced trunk locks that were marked "C. Liebrich, Phila." After his retirement in 1869, his two partners, Louis Hillebrand and Daniel Wolf, adopted the name Star Lock Works. Upon the death of Mr. Wolf and the retirement of Mr. Hillebrand, Wolf's two sons, William and Louis, took over the business. The company continued until 1926.

Scandinavian padlocks came in a variety of sizes and were produced by a number of manufacturers. Those produced by the Star Lock Works are easily identified by the star surrounding the keyway. A Star Works catalog with only the name of Louis Wolf (no date) showed the padlocks with a small star on the side also. (These apparently are of a later date.)

The series of dots within the star at the bottom of the lock are the code for the angle cuts. One dot means no angle cuts, two dots a half angle cut and three dots a full angle cut.

Default E.D. Reed Padlock Book

Hi
    Here is some info from my E.D. Reed padlock code book
    Only info you dont have is the place the blank could be purchased back in the days
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20150907_231827.jpg   IMG_20150907_231841.jpg  

wow! didn't know the dots were a blind code! THANKS!

Default Key?

Anyone know if there is someone who can cut a key for one of these locks from the code?

Thread Information