Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Early Alpine safe restoration

This safe is a little older and is slightly larger than my last Alpine. 28inches high and 18inches deep and wide. I will post picture of lock mech. later. Hand painted lettering and striping...wider striping is 23KT gold leaf. Mural is done in oils. I hope to be selling it soon...prob on E-bay.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AlpinePrelim1.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	4513 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AlpinePrelim2.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	4514 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AlpinePrelim3OIL.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	4515 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AlpinePrelim5.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	4516 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AlpinePrelim6.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	4517

You are one of the better at that type of work. I wouldn't want to touch the safe! Lest I smudge it! VERY COOL! Great job!

Very nice Matt. Am I understanding that you are now doing the gold the same way it was originally done? Doug

Default Great job

Cant beleive the quality of reconditioning you guys have in the States.
    Super job!

However, why on earth did the ealy manufacturers put wheels on?

Surely, you wouldn't need to dynamite in situ, all you need do is push it over a cliff!!

Keep up the good work

Russell
    Withy Grove

It has been put forward that these wheels were to be removed after shipping once the safe was in place. They were almost never removed as far as I know as quite a few owners liked the idea they could move them around. Yes they could help in loading it onto a wagon and then drop/drill/open at any time they wanted.

on subject, how about some before pictures?

Gorgeous work Matt! Thanks for sharing.
    Bill

I don't think that a quick getaway was an option at that time. It would be an almighty job just to get a safe up onto a wagon behind a horse, before escaping at 10 mph

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Stoner View Post
    However, why on earth did the ealy manufacturers put wheels on?
    One observation made in another thread was that in the US, at that time, banks would roll their small safes into their vault at night, and back out in the morning. This would have been rather labor-intensive and a little rough on the door sill but it would explain the wheels. The practice seems to have been uncommon elsewhere. Or so goes my recollection of the other discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    Very nice Matt. Am I understanding that you are now doing the gold the same way it was originally done? Doug
    indeed...i see alot of restorations and all with "swirlies" ("machine swirls") in the gold leaf...I have never seen an original one with the "machine swirls". We do the fire trucks this way and it does look cool and I did my National with machine swirls...but.

Doug, you have many pictures of very nice original safes...if you see any with machine swirls...please post...i would like for you to prove me wrong because personally...I like the look of the machine swirls.

Matt I don't know when the swirlies started but none of the antique safes I have seen had them in the gold striping. Hand applied gold leaf probably couldn't stand up to engine turning or jiggering which is what the swirlies are called. You do see this type of surface embellishment used on some money chests and vaults. And there were several different manufacturer signature techniques used on the better bronze locks and timelocks in the later 1800's. Doug

Thread Information