Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

MK I? Prototype?

Neither, this is Milners Merlin standard 3 wheel combination lock before it was developed by George Boyce to the Double drive, (which didn't make it to production) and later the first of the Manifoil double drive locks.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    Here is an image of a Manifoil replacement, the original link died.
    This was the replacement lock they used to use but have gone onto to a couple of options now

Sorry on this one, that lock is not antique or even vintage and still theoretically restricted, but have been asked not to display on a free access unrestricted forum pending clarification. Hopefully I will get the clarification when I will reinstate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Morland View Post
    Sorry on this one, that lock is not antique or even vintage and still theoretically restricted, but have been asked not to display on a free access unrestricted forum pending clarification. Hopefully I will get the clarification when I will reinstate it.
    Yes info on anything other than a MKIV is restricted

The MKV (illustrated earlier in this thread) is the line up to which we can talk about, although take the normal safety precautions when handling this one due to the extra 'heavy metal'!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Morland View Post
    The MKV (illustrated earlier in this thread) is the line up to which we can talk about, although take the normal safety precautions due to the extra 'heavy metal'!
    Brian you notice that what I wrote didn't describe or name any of the other options and always very careful about supplying any description or details on a forum

Been working through a box of old Manifoils and the Milners MERLIN and comparing the locks and trying to piece together the evolution of them.
    The MERLIN looks to share the base of the MANIFOILS and it is quite interesting to look at the changes in the different locks.

Is there list of changes available??
    Is there a Mk-1 and what does it look like??
    Is there a list of models as I seem to have found changes, upgrades that are outside the Mk2 - Mk2A - Mk3 Mk-4 numbering.

I am up to 80 odd pages in comparisons with pictures and notes at this point.

Hopefully this isn't controversial - as I am only doing up to MkIV at this stage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pages from CM MANIFOIL - wheels -a.jpg   Pages from CM MANIFOIL - wheels - b.jpg   Pages from CM MANIFOIL - wheels -c.jpg   Pages from CM MANIFOIL - wheels -d.jpg   Pages from CM MANIFOIL - wheels -e.jpg  

Attached Files Attached Files

braile dial and a milners regular body shape lock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails manifoil braille dial.jpg   MILNER MANIFOIL.jpg  

That is a really interesting lock, not the usual round form factor.
    A lot of end users have issues with dialing a Manifoil let alone a vision impaired user.
    Very nice and interesting. Thanks.

Thread Information