Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    A short history of Milners' and Chubb appeared in The Lock Collector (published in the UK by Tony Beck), issue 14 (Jan/Mar 2007). There it is stated that Milners' invented the Manifoil in 1951 and merged with Chatwood in 1956. In 1959 Chatwood-Milner was purchased by Chubb but operated separately under their own name until 1970. A little more information is in issue 16.

Some Manifoils are marked CM (Chatwood-Milner) and some are marked Chubb. Perhaps very early ones are marked differently.

However, I have a Manifoil that is marked CM Ltd. 1976. Is there an explanation for this discrepancy?
    Reviving an old thread... this is very interesting information to me. I have a CM manifoil in a safe I have inherited (see other thread). Wylk, did you ever find out any more information about the earlier manifoils?

The earliest ones were marked "Milners Manifoil".

Quote Originally Posted by kwoswalt99 View Post
    The earliest ones were marked "Milners Manifoil".
    The steel case normally had the "mk number" stamped into it, whereas the dials might have been replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    The steel case normally had the "mk number" stamped into it, whereas the dials might have been replaced.
    That's what I suspect happened to wylk's.

Cases were always Nickel plated brass as far as I'm aware, unless some very early ones were steel.

Mk3, mk4 numbers were stamped on the cover, and not normally on the case.

As already mentioned, covers and dials were often swapped (especially Army bases & MoD) so give no reliable indication of the lock itself.

It was developed and progressed from the original Milner Merlin lock, an example of which is top of Brian's Museum list if you know anyone who has one :-)

the oldest I have isnt anything special at only 1958, but it does illustrate many of the later developments when compared to say a 1990s or early 2000s example.

This is a later version, the MKV, there are at least two variants that I'm aware of.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1217-02.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	15049

But still looking for a Merlin which remains elusive...

Brian, the photos not that clear but at a glance externally the lock itself and the bezel look the same as a mark 4.

The dials clearly different though, and the large anti-X-Ray shield looks to be different in that it's hinged within a circular housing and not the normal pressed square box.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    From time to time I see references (and eBay auctions) for the Manifoil Mark IV combination lock, commonly used on UK government containers. Were there ever any Manifoils that were not Mark IV?

Is there any sort of history for it, such as when it was introduced, and how secure it claims to be (as opposed to how secure it really is)? I gather it is/was used on filing cabinets and the like but not necessarily on serious safes.

Also, it appears that it is no longer made. See for example Locksmith Hoddesdon - Locksmith Blog which shows a modern replacement. The dial looks very much like a Sargent and Greenleaf, but the lock body is not something I've seen before. Any information on this replacement, such as who makes it?
    Mk 4 were the most common and the mark3 before them, but they have carried on developing them, although they are not as widely used.
    They are primarily designed to counter sarupticious entry -which they are pretty damn good at and you can't have the suspicion that the manufacturers have kept a secret back door, like on the electronic competition.

Default Older 3 wheel CM

Just for interest, I came across this early CM a long time ago.
    Straight 3 wheels, no split drive cam, no wheel shroud etc but with a dial check lock.

Matching numbers.

Open to any feedback and theories on this lock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.JPG   2.JPG   3.JPG   4.JPG   5.JPG  

6.JPG   7.JPG   8.JPG  

Default Older 3 Wheel CM

Nice lock you have there. As one question the lock with the key it is support to lock the wheel pack..??...Timothy....

Thread Information