Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I found a bit of info about the Treasury locks. They were being shown as early as 1858 and described as protected against smoking or inking the lever bellies. This is from a Franklin Institute booklet found online. When I first started out as a locksmith I remember hearing about using a wet popsicle stick to pick a Sargent Keso lock. Sounds like Yale may have been doing the same idea. Doug

Yale figured out that it was possible to smoke the bellies of the levers in the Newell changeable lock and then view the marks with a mirror after the key had been used to determine the pattern.

Thats why the Hobbs improved version had a wiper on the curtain !

It wasn't practical to view the inside of a Paratoptic lock, with a mirror, because the large pin size and swinging plate on the front of the lock (I forget the terminology, detector cap?) blocked any view. The gap was only about 1mm.
    Expert picklocks such as Pettes & Hall tried many different ways to get usable information via the keyway but with little success on the later locks from 1846 onwards.

Yale got around this by applying ink/black paint, diluted with linseed oil?, and applied with a artists paint brush which was cut at the end and stuck on a roughly made tin plate key. Using a series of tools with paper glued to them he was able to accurately determine the code of a lock. He then cut a wooden key to the measurements that he had determined. I have only ever seen bits cut for the 6 & 10 slider models only. What is more interesting is that he could still correctly decode the locks even if the combination was changed after the original inking. This would indicate that a wiper would not stop his system working.

I have only just recently found out that all his tools are not in one place.

Thread Information