Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Yale Treasury Key

This one of the non-European items from the collection and was hoping for some insight. It is of course a key from Yale’s treasury bank lock. This key has an overall length of 5 ¾ " and the bit has 8 removable steps. The steps, which are numbered, may be reassembled in any order. Other versions of the key have also been noted, i.e. shorter length, fewer steps on the bit and that are also solid. I know (from "American Genius") that there were two versions of the lock and wondered if that accounted for the differences. Another point that may also be known by users is are there any known instances where the lock was used by others than the Treasury Dept. I know that it’s a very rare lock and content myself with at least having an example of the key but live in hopes that a lock may turn up one day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yt87.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	422.2 KB 
ID:	4467

Brian, I have a few questions about the key and lock. First, I know you can rearrange the bits to fit the lock but, why? Second, How often would they change the bits? Third, Wouldn't they have to pretty much dissassemble the lock to change the levers to match the key? Seems like that would be alot of work unless it wasn't done very often.Or did they just remove the bits from the key and keep them out of order and assembled them in order when they needed to open the lock.
    Mark A. Billesbach

If I remember the moveable pins were a security item. You remove the key from the lock and change the patern. If someone sees the key or gets there hands on it the key will not work without knowing how to change the bitting on the key to the correct pattern. A little time and they could try all the combos on the key. SO you are correct Mark.

The 1861 patent I originally checked out is #32,331 which did describe protection against picking. There is an earlier 1860 patent 28,710 for the lock. Both of these patents are the single Treasury. No patent found for a double Treasury model. As I understand it, the bit is removed from the key during unlocking. This would pretty much preclude the lock from being an auto reset. From what I have seen auto reset models require the key to be removed in the unlocked position, to allow a different key to lock it. Anyway I would be more than happy to repair the malfunctioning lock found over there in the UK. More than happy! Doug

From Yale Jr.'s 1856 dissertation
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1856 4.jpg  

I have no clue as to how many and where the locks were used other than the Treasury, but I looked at the patent and no mention is made of the lock being self adjusting to changes made to the key bitting. There were several other keylocks that did auto reset to the key, but in this case, it sounds like the removable bits were only so extra sets of keys would not be needed on sight if one was lost. Plus the advantage of rearranging them when not in use. The main idea of the patent was the prevention of picking access to the levers. The bits would separate from the key and access would then be blocked. This idea, which was also seen in earlier locks like the Herring "Grasshopper", was the last major key lock innovation prior to the keyless combination locks taking over in the US. Doug

And now that I have actually read the second but earlier patent, it appears I was wrong. The key is removable in the unlocked position and will auto reset to a new key. Doug

Success at last- the book is 'Locks & Keys throughout the Ages' by Vincent J. M. Eras

Here's a scan of the small section on the Yale Double Treasury lock- the patent for this one is written as 1852, and Yale Jr's patent for his double lock as 1857- I'm unsure if Jr worked on a similar lock to the Treasury though- I think the later lock is the 'Quadruplex', which is an entirely different design and style of key. I'm assuming it's okay to scan and post this here(?)

Got fond memories reading this book in the 1980's and drooling over a 40 ton Lips circular door pictured at the back of the book- I've never been the same since.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails YDT Scan.jpg  

Hi Doug,

The lock in question is in the Mossman collection in New york. A superb collection of one of a kind locks. I suspect you have already seen this collection. I flew over there to see it, a christmas gift from my wife. I am doing some research into the great lock controversies of 1830's to 1880's in the US. I have been trying to identify some of the x-patents and think the odd one or two locks, in that collection, may well be examples of them.

As is too often I didn't read (understand) the previous posts before speaking. I have done a little research and found that Jr. did in fact patent a redundancy key lock in 1858, so that should give some credence to the double Treasury version being a redundant lock setup. I have a little more I'll post later. Doug

Thread Information