Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sargent lock

I've been away for a while and that's when the interesting stuff usually pops up. That falls into place with my own estimation that the square pin mortise cylinders were produced from 1900 to around 1915. I was not aware of or have ever seen a padlock with the square pins.

I knew a locksmith in Louisville, KY who had a keying kit and used it to rekey local Catholic Churches. He indicated to me that he had never seen a rim cylinder and never encountered them on any other business. The mortise cylinder I have came from a church in MI.

Interestingly the top of the bottom pin was curved to match the plug diameter as shown in the patent drawing and that was likely done for pick resistance. It would be fairly effective. There were a few door hardware locks made in the early 1900's that had the complimentary keyways and tumblers with two operating surfaces, a couple of examples that come immediately to mind are Norwalk and Chicago Hardware.
    BBE.

Glad to see you on here Bill. In your opinion, did Sargent make the scroll design before, during or after the same lock with the Sargent name in raised lettering? I'm just wondering what the time frame is on my lock. I know that they used both designs with the square pins, at least that's what the article by John Grist suggested. Thanks, Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Default Sargent patent

Here's the patent that I found for the lock,I'm pretty sure this is the same as my lock.
    PLANOORAPH CO - Google Patents
    Mark A. Billesbach

Sorry for taking so long. I have gone thru all my blanks and the only keyway that is close it the opposite keyway or Ilco 1009. I do have that key but it isn't anything but the new ilco blanks I am sorry to say. I do keep an eye out for any OEM key blanks and grab or trade new for the older blanks so I do have quite a few so far. Old locks should have the OEM blanks for the time they were made. I will keep an eye out for yours.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbiscuit View Post
    Glad to see you on here Bill. In your opinion, did Sargent make the scroll design before, during or after the same lock with the Sargent name in raised lettering? I'm just wondering what the time frame is on my lock. I know that they used both designs with the square pins, at least that's what the article by John Grist suggested. Thanks, Mark
    That's a tough one. I really have no reference beyond the patent you found. From general knowledge I would think that the raised lettering would have come later as around 1915 the world was starting to head into the art deco mode and away from the more decorative styles that preceeded it. But that is just conjecture, I wish I had some old Sargent catalog references.
    BBE.

Here's a Sargent lock I picked up a while back on Ebay. I had read an article in the Journal of Lock Collecting where the author had a similar lock with the same markings that had square pins inside rather than round. I bought this lock locked without a key not knowing the pin type,but hoping for the rare square pins. But as my luck would have it ,they were the traditional round pins. I was able to pick the lock open and remove the internal assembly screw, dissassemble the lock, clean it,find a key blank,cut it to match the pins and reassemble it to make a working lock. I have asked the author for any information on the age of the lock as well as asking various other collectors with no results. I've seen this same lock with the name Sargent in raised letters across the center rather than the fancy S & CO scroll on mine. The reverse sides are the same on the scroll desing and the raised name design. Anyone out there have any info or know where to point me to look? Thanks, Mark
    This lock appears to bear a strong resemblance to a lock I won on eBay the other day. The ornate design on the reverse is the same (and is shown in the patent figure attached) but the obsverse only has SARGENT in the center of a similar design. These locks appear to be works variants of the same design patented in 1903 (US729792) & likely marketed about the same time. (I have another pair of Sargent locks that also appear to be works variants of the same patented design which I plan to post later).

Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front with key.jpg   Front with shackle open.jpg   Rear.jpg   US729792 fist page.jpg  

Stadmuller had an earlier patent for the same concept, look at 564,603 from July, 1896.
    BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    The Sargent Square Pin Cylinder was invented by Henry R. Stadtmuller of Whitneyville, CT and assigned to Sargent & Co. in 1897. This cylinder was invented to eliminate the use of "split pin masterkeying" in a masterkeyed cylinder thereby making it more pick resistant. This was accomplished by having two steps in each pin with a R.H. blade change key and an L.H. blade master key. See US Patent 588,026; Aug. 10, 1897. There are several in the collection of Lock Museum of America in Terryville, CT*. BBE (Billy B. Edwards, Jr.) has suggested that they are found only on Roman Catholic Churches. I've never actually seen one.

*adapted from Historical Research Series #13, June, 1984 by Thomas F. Hennessy, Curator, Lock Museum of America

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sullivan View Post
    This lock appears to bear a strong resemblance to a lock I won on eBay the other day. The ornate design on the reverse is the same (and is shown in the patent figure attached) but the obsverse only has SARGENT in the center of a similar design. These locks appear to be works variants of the same design patented in 1903 (US729792) & likely marketed about the same time. (I have another pair of Sargent locks that also appear to be works variants of the same patented design which I plan to post later).

Jack
    Yes, I'm aware of that. But the post your responding to is not mine but someone else's.

Jack

Initially I thought that too Doug, but traditionally in those types of ornate intertwined letter logo's the 'O' was usually lower case. While it is a Sargent padlock, it makes one wonder.
    BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    Jim, How about "S"argent & "C"O"mpany. Oh, that that was too easy. I am surprised at you. But keep up the good work. Doug

Default Sargent lock

Here's a Sargent lock I picked up a while back on Ebay. I had read an article in the Journal of Lock Collecting where the author had a similar lock with the same markings that had square pins inside rather than round. I bought this lock locked without a key not knowing the pin type,but hoping for the rare square pins. But as my luck would have it ,they were the traditional round pins. I was able to pick the lock open and remove the internal assembly screw, dissassemble the lock, clean it,find a key blank,cut it to match the pins and reassemble it to make a working lock. I have asked the author for any information on the age of the lock as well as asking various other collectors with no results. I've seen this same lock with the name Sargent in raised letters across the center rather than the fancy S & CO scroll on mine. The reverse sides are the same on the scroll desing and the raised name design. Anyone out there have any info or know where to point me to look? Thanks, Mark
    After a study of the logo, it looks to me like the S is on top, then the C , & then the O is on the bottom. I am unsure of where the & is? It could be S C & O or S & C O ..
    My guess, for what it's worth would be S C & O.....
    HA, I just checked Arnells book &it shows S & C O...Sargent & co..maybe no help Donnie

Thread Information