Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Need Help Identifying This Safe

Can anyone help me identify this safe? Also if possible give me a ballpark of a value both restored and unrestored. I am heading to a tag sale to buy this and I dont want to overpay for it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Safe.jpg  

That is a typical Herring fire safe from the 1870's - 80's. I never see them around Cleveland but that doesn't mean a whole lot. Silas Herring started making fire safes in the 1840's but by the time you safe was made, Frank Herring and John Farrel were running the show. Herring (New York and their sister company Farrel of Philadelphia) merged with Hall (Cincinnati) and Marvin (New York) to become Herring- Hall- Marvin in the 1890's. HHM became a giant in the banking world along with Diebold, Mosler, and York. HHM was later bought out by Diebold. I wouldn't put that as a high value collectable safe, but with its distinctive hinges and bold lettering in a restored condition, there is definitely a market for it. Doug

Thanks for the info. I am hoping to be able to get this cheap enough and restore it. This would my first safe purchase (besides the modern one I have in my home). Restored or not, it would make a nice piece in my home office. (now I only hope the lock mechanism works)

Hi Pap344,

That is a very nice safe to get, I am new here, and I don't know too much about old safes, but I usually can remember anything I see, and there is one that looks just like yours on the third page of this site.

http://www.antique-locks.com/antique...ring-safe.html

Maybe you can look at that one to get idea's?

Take Care, Matt

[QUOTE= but with its distinctive hinges and bold lettering in a restored condition, there is definitely a market for it. Doug[/QUOTE]

I couldnt agree with you more Doug...haha. That would be a beauty restored.

Thread Information