Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default info only combination , history

info only combination , history
    hi hope I am doing this the right way , info only no value interest .Bought this padlock with no code and in the locked position understood this but went ahead loved the look of it.Wheels stuck but now they are moving after some wd 40 , now I know better , started to play and it opened as I put this down to LUCK or it is broken .First my picture is not to good so the name =insurance lock/ pat appl for E03547/W A HARRISON INC NEW YORK .Please can you give me some history , why are there no marks to line up or no's how to close it when open, also on all the wheels there is one much lower cut on all the wheels. hope you can help. thanks gus
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SAM_0001.JPG  

Gus, congratulations on getting it opened ! There are no numbers on the lock because it is a securety type lock. To find the combination now that you have it open is simple. First holding the lock with the pin on the right,start with the very left wheel. Rotate the wheel down and count the clicks till the wheel stops,Write the first number down. Now go to the next wheel to the right of the first wheel and rotate that wheel down counting the clicks till it stops, Write that number down. Repeat this sequence with the next two wheels. Now that you have the number count for the four wheels in sequence you have the combo. To lock the padlock,you close the bail,push in the pin and turn all the wheels up. It dosen't matter how many turns of each wheel up as there is no stop when you turn the wheels up. To unlock, you simply turn all the wheels down till they stop, then turn each each one back up the predetermined number of clicks for each wheel, pull the pin out and lift the bail.
    Mark A. Billesbach

Hi thanks for the info on the close and open. Don't think I have opened the lock must have been rust on the bail and it pulled up thanks to mr wd 40 , nice of you to give me all that credit ! I will let you know how I get on , next question age and would it be employed indoors and any other history please.thanks again gus. quote :buying padlocks on eBay , is like licking honey off a thorn.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbiscuit View Post
    Gus, congratulations on getting it opened ! There are no numbers on the lock because it is a securety type lock. To find the combination now that you have it open is simple. First holding the lock with the pin on the right,start with the very left wheel. Rotate the wheel down and count the clicks till the wheel stops,Write the first number down. Now go to the next wheel to the right of the first wheel and rotate that wheel down counting the clicks till it stops, Write that number down. Repeat this sequence with the next two wheels. Now that you have the number count for the four wheels in sequence you have the combo. To lock the padlock,you close the bail,push in the pin and turn all the wheels up. It dosen't matter how many turns of each wheel up as there is no stop when you turn the wheels up. To unlock, you simply turn all the wheels down till they stop, then turn each each one back up the predetermined number of clicks for each wheel, pull the pin out and lift the bail.
    hi have followed your instructions , first wheel from the left ok , the other 3 wheels keep turning well into the 30's all wheels turned downwards , looks like bad news ? has the bail to be facing the direction as the pin ? thanks gus
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SAM_0014.JPG  

Gus, first off is the last picture you posted (the one showing the lock open),was that picture taken after you tried my instructions or before? If before, is the lock now locked with the bail closed? If it is I can walk you through the procedure to get it back open, at this point I'm not really sure what stage the lock is in. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Gus, first off is the last picture you posted (the one showing the lock open),was that picture taken after you tried my instructions or before? If before, is the lock now locked with the bail closed? If it is I can walk you through the procedure to get it back open, at this point I'm not really sure what stage the lock is in. Mark
    thanks Mark for the support so far , the picture was taken after I tried what you said , but then tried it a few times more is this the END. hop you will still help , thanks again gus

Gus, The problem that I see first off is the pin location. If you hold the lock so that the wording is facing you and the open side of the bail is on the right, the pin should have been pulled out to the right side of the lock. The way this lock is designed allows the user to change the combination to their own numbers simply by pushing the pin through the lock from the right to the left, removing the wheels and repositioning the wheels in a different position to change the combo.. I should note here that the pin should have a knob on the right side end and should be a round flat end on the left side.(see attached pic).Being as how the bail is open on your lock and you already have the pin coming out the opposite side,I would recommend the following.
    Start by applying pulling pressure outwards on the pin(pulling it out the left side as you look at the lock body,lettering facing you). Slowly turn each wheel one at a time upwards till you feel a catch and the pin pulls out a little bit. Move to another wheel and repeat the process. If you'll notice on my pic, there is a hole in the middle of each wheel with a notch in the hole that lines up with the corrisponding tab on the bottom of the pin. You may have to move around a bit trying different wheels as the wear on everything will cause the wheels to bind up. After the last wheel is set and the pin pulls out all the way, carefully remove each wheel and inspect it. Mine has a number on the left side of each wheel that is the combo number for that wheel.
    As you go to reassemble the lock, take the first wheel noting the number and insert it with the notch pointing down and the number facing left into the far left slot. Insert the pin, knob end first into the hole on the left side of the lock. Push in the pin till it just reaches the second slot,insert the second wheeln noting the number and face the number to the left. repeat for the last two wheels. Once all the wheels are in push the pin as far as possible to where it will be protruding out the right side.
    Now close the bail and push the pin back in the lock from the right (the knob on the pin should just be sticking out far enough at this point that you will have just enough to grasp with your fingers when you are trying to open the lock) Now if you wrote the wheel numbers down in their order, start with the first wheel on the left and roll it down counting the clicks till it stops (should be the same as the number on the wheel). Now procede to the next wheel and repeat checking the clicks against the number on the wheel. Repeat the procedure for the last two wheels. Now to open the lock, start with the left wheel turn it up the number for that wheel and move on to the next wheel and repeat. After you have set all four wheels, grasp the knob on the end of the pin and pull the pin outwards (aprox 1/4 inch) till it stops. Lift the bail and presto the lock is open.
    Let me know if you can't figure out my directions Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Harrison lock exploded view.jpg  
    Mark A. Billesbach

Gus, The problem that I see first off is the pin location. If you hold the lock so that the wording is facing you and the open side of the bail is on the right, the pin should have been pulled out to the right side of the lock. The way this lock is designed allows the user to change the combination to their own numbers simply by pushing the pin through the lock from the right to the left, removing the wheels and repositioning the wheels in a different position to change the combo.. I should note here that the pin should have a knob on the right side end and should be a round flat end on the left side.(see attached pic).Being as how the bail is open on your lock and you already have the pin coming out the opposite side,I would recommend the following.
    Start by applying pulling pressure outwards on the pin(pulling it out the left side as you look at the lock body,lettering facing you). Slowly turn each wheel one at a time upwards till you feel a catch and the pin pulls out a little bit. Move to another wheel and repeat the process. If you'll notice on my pic, there is a hole in the middle of each wheel with a notch in the hole that lines up with the corrisponding tab on the bottom of the pin. You may have to move around a bit trying different wheels as the wear on everything will cause the wheels to bind up. After the last wheel is set and the pin pulls out all the way, carefully remove each wheel and inspect it. Mine has a number on the left side of each wheel that is the combo number for that wheel.
    As you go to reassemble the lock, take the first wheel noting the number and insert it with the notch pointing down and the number facing left into the far left slot. Insert the pin, knob end first into the hole on the left side of the lock. Push in the pin till it just reaches the second slot,insert the second wheeln noting the number and face the number to the left. repeat for the last two wheels. Once all the wheels are in push the pin as far as possible to where it will be protruding out the right side.
    Now close the bail and push the pin back in the lock from the right (the knob on the pin should just be sticking out far enough at this point that you will have just enough to grasp with your fingers when you are trying to open the lock) Now if you wrote the wheel numbers down in their order, start with the first wheel on the left and roll it down counting the clicks till it stops (should be the same as the number on the wheel). Now procede to the next wheel and repeat checking the clicks against the number on the wheel. Repeat the procedure for the last two wheels. Now to open the lock, start with the left wheel turn it up the number for that wheel and move on to the next wheel and repeat. After you have set all four wheels, grasp the knob on the end of the pin and pull the pin outwards (aprox 1/4 inch) till it stops. Lift the bail and presto the lock is open.
    Let me know if you can't figure out my directions Mark
    WOW , thanks Mark . I feel like a excited 10 yr old thanks thanks , very clear instructions , but afraid to start will find some quite time today with a large coffee and start , if you don't hear from me for a couple of days would like to thank you for your time spent helping me. gus

thanks Mark , done !!!!! will share this with my grandson, this has been for me a real pleasure trip , any more info on the history . thanks gus

Gus, Glad I could help. Now get out there and start collecting ! You'll find there are hundreds of locks out there that will really amaze you. Once you get the bug, it's hard to pass up a lock,at least it is for me.
    Mark A. Billesbach

Thread Information