Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 9 Lever Milners Trible Stump Safe Lock

Here´s another lock of my collection. It´s a 9 lever Milners Trible Stump with the lock No "O.979", which shows that 1903 was the year of manufacture. The two original keys are stamped with "Milners Liverpool & London" on one side and on the other side "Middle" and "O.979". This is because this lock would have come from a big Bank Vault that had 3 locks on it, this has been the middle one.
    Enjoy the pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Minlers Trible Stump Lock - 1.jpg   Minlers Trible Stump Lock - 2.jpg   Minlers Trible Stump Lock - 3 - Keys.jpg   Minlers Trible Stump Lock - 4 - Parts.jpg   Minlers Trible Stump Lock - 5 - Details.jpg  

Default Milner lock

Great photographs Markus - thanks for posting them.

How did you come by the lock? Did you see the safe?

Years ago I bought (and sold) a Milners Bankers safe probably same era. Extremely heavy. I didn't see inside the door, my neighbour saw it come of the lorry and bought it from me for storing tools. I still have the plaque.

R
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milner Big.jpg  

Nice lock and really good pictures.

Probably off a large safe rather than a strongroom though, there is a detachable bit key version that was used on the really heavy safes & doors. I used to have one, I'll see if I still have pictures of the key ..

Hi Huntlocks,
    a friend of a friend sold the lock to me. So i have never seen the safe or vault it came from. I nearly post every info on the lock i have. I knew there was also a 7 lever version of this lock, cause i saw it once on ebay.

Markus

Looking at the key markings this was the middle lock of three.
    I came across a few of these in the 70's and the locks were often all different.
    Often the top lock would be a Kromer double bitted or pork pie lock as they were often called.
    The top lock would also operate a shutter that would cover the other to keyholes.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian D. Lewis
    Looking at the key markings this was the middle lock of three.
    I came across a few of these in the 70's and the locks were often all different.
    Often the top lock would be a Kromer double bitted or pork pie lock as they were often called.
    The top lock would also operate a shutter that would cover the other to keyholes.

Ian
    I think, your thinking of Chatwood - not Milner ....

Default question for Markus

Markus

Meine Liebhaberei ist Fotographie. Ihre Fotographien sind aussergewöhnlich. Wie erhalten Sie solche gute Abbildungen ohne grellen Glanz? Welche Kamera benutzen Sie? Benutzen Sie Blitz mit einem Reflektor? Richard

My hobby is photography. Your photographs are really exceptional. How do you get such good pictures without glare? What camera do you use? Do you use flash with a reflector?

Richard

Hi Richard,
    don´t you know? Good pictures are result from deleting the bad ones. :lol: First, i took about 150 photos!
    I´ve used a Canon Ixus 40. I don´t used a flashlight. The lamp i´ve used was a self-build halogen lamp with 6x 20w reflector-lamps and set the white-balance on tungsten. Most of the pictures i shoot with a large focal-length. I want to post a topic of how i have made the photos with more detailed information these days.

regards
    Markus

Default Photos

Thank you for the information Markus.

I can now understand how you got those beautiful pictures. I will have to build myself a 'rig'.

I was hoping you would give me a tip that would be easy but I am not surprised, the photos are really evenly lit - very nice, well done.

Yes, post some guidelines I am sure others will be interested.

Richard.

Default Lever design

I too am really impressed with these great photos of a lovely lock. I take my hat off to you, Markus. I have a couple of the ordinary single stump version, but I'd love to get my hands on one of these. I imagine the purpose of the three stumps was to:
    1) make it more difficult to drill the stump out
    2) reduce the effect of end pressure on the bolt, am I right?

I have some questions about the levers: why do levers 1 and 5 operate only on the back two stumps? and why do only levers 4, 7 and 9 have all three gates cut at the normal width? I can see that lever 3 has extra wide gates, perhaps this was to accommodate 2 keys in a master-key system (?), but why do neither of the back stumps operate on lever 2, and only one of them on levers 6 and 8? Was this just for ease of manufacture? Anybody got any answers?

Diadalad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails milners triple stump lock - 4 - parts-  194 -2.jpg  

Thread Information