Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 9 Lever Milners Trible Stump Safe Lock

Hereīs another lock of my collection. Itīs a 9 lever Milners Trible Stump with the lock No "O.979", which shows that 1903 was the year of manufacture. The two original keys are stamped with "Milners Liverpool & London" on one side and on the other side "Middle" and "O.979". This is because this lock would have come from a big Bank Vault that had 3 locks on it, this has been the middle one.
    Enjoy the pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Minlers Trible Stump Lock - 1.jpg   Minlers Trible Stump Lock - 2.jpg   Minlers Trible Stump Lock - 3 - Keys.jpg   Minlers Trible Stump Lock - 4 - Parts.jpg   Minlers Trible Stump Lock - 5 - Details.jpg  

I have seen these fitted on Vault doors even with these shorter keys

Quote Originally Posted by exspook View Post
    I have seen these fitted on Vault doors even with these shorter keys
    That would have been a 'book quality' door. The real heavy doors used long detachable keys - by necessity :!:

The example I was thinking of had three locks each with a seperate 7-11 escutcheon and the door was only 25mm (one of those Old Inches) thick, with a grille gate on the inside
    The back pan was a two manner to remove with massive threaded bolts

I have not seen these with detachable bits, do you have an image please?
    Many thanks
    Exspook

Not a great picture as I took this quite a few years ago ..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010013.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	2230

Thank you
    I have seen these keys on CHUBB Channel locks (pipe key)and the key bit has a dovetail taper that holds it in place on the stem

Think I have one around will try and get some images

Thank you for the fast reply

I've seen those too. I suspect they post date these Milners and Chubb copied the design (nothing unusual there).

Back ground info on this lock please. What range of dates was this 3 stump lock manufactured? If I am right what I have so far is there was a 7 lever and a 9 lever. Was the 7 only used on certain containers and the 9 on others? Is there a listing of serial numbers? Is there a history of the company or the designer Benjamin Boyce of this lock?

Default Milner Research Project

Milner is the topic of our first research venture for this cluster of sites. As Milner is a English company the thread is located on the HoL forum HERE. The leter date codes are HERE. The Milner research project is one that’s long overdue in that there is so much detail that can be assimilated in the form of numbers marks, symbols and lock variations. Any member of Antique Locks that would like to be added to the HoL forum with your existing login simply email Merlin 47 with your details. Hopefully everybody can add their Milner locks to the HoL thread.

Thread Information