Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Anyone know anything about this lock. It has the finest mechanism that I ever seen .

Lovely mechanism and great looking lock. Feels like a real lock and i was wondering if anyone has seen one like it before or any idea of what it was made for???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lock1.JPG   lock2.JPG   lock3.JPG  

Default German padlock

I have one very similar - except mine is not double bitted. Back in the 1980's I wrote to the Lock Museum in Velbert asking for their help in identifying the lock. I received a reply stating that it was made by the firm of Damm & Ladwig of Velbert. It was probably made between 1910 and 1926.
    Hope this information was helpful.
    Scott

Default Thanks for that Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Klemm View Post
    I have one very similar - except mine is not double bitted. Back in the 1980's I wrote to the Lock Museum in Velbert asking for their help in identifying the lock. I received a reply stating that it was made by the firm of Damm & Ladwig of Velbert. It was probably made between 1910 and 1926.
    Scott
    Thanks for that Scott but I do not understand double bitted but i expect it to mean that the key is double sided. When you open the mechanism the clunk feels great and the spring is very strong. As I said, I have a large collection of padlocks and this one rates as my number one. For some reason I would have thought the this lock was from an earlier date but I live and learn.

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Klemm View Post
    Scott
    Just one more thing. I thought that I had included dimensions in the first thread but for info the watch is more than 6 inches long by 4 inches wide. It must have protected something very valuable????

Default Damm & Ladwig padlock

Yes, you are correct about the meaning of double bitted. As for the dating, it's based on the fact it was listed in the 1910, 1916 and 1922 catalogs. With this note is a photo of my padlock for comparison.

Default Try again

I'm not sure what I did wrong, but the picture didn't come up. I will try again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG2353.JPG  

Thread Information