Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Very nice indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    Here are two Chatwood's - one is similar to the earlier posting and the other is a different design -one opens upwards and the other downwards!!
    I am guessing that the shiniest one doesnt have a lock and was put inside the banking hall while the other one was on the outside of the building (keyed alike with a Yale lock on a nozzled brass straight lock incorporating a roller on the end of the bolt) -maybe the shiniest one is the Midland Bank original version (original for Chatwood that is)

Hi Tom I think you will find the one on the left is a Chubb C/A as you see complete with the now non exsistant Westminster badge bank on the opening part of the facia(Chubb Adaptable) And the 5 levered key lock is on the right hand side at the middle of the fixed bronze facia place if you look you can just see the escutcheon coverplate.
    Up until about 5years ago at least one was in service in the SW UK and still may be?

The wallet was put in to an inner bucket with a flap and this was sent though the trap to the Night safe via a system of 4 chains on cogs on reaching the inside of the N/S the flap ejected the wallet in to the safe
    If I had a £1 for every one I took out the wall and fixed I wouldnt be here now.
    We at Chubb always thought that for what they did the design was far to complex.
    Regards Ant

I have banked with Nat West for 25 years (tip to everyone, Santander Bank give you free business banking and it really is normally free) and still I didn't know that it was their logo.
    The design is very close to Chatwood's although I imagine that this is mainly due to form following function.

Big excitement -a good customer of mine owns the freehold of a property in a small town which was leased to The Midland Bank and they are giving back the lease. I hopped over there at lunchtime but all safes had already been removed and no sign of a bronze night deposit safe.

Default The Midland Bank

Well You will have to remember Tom that with the demise of N/S Trap useage in the smaller branches a lot of these went years ago some more than 20 years plus it was more than probably a Chubb pull out drawer type some of these older one of this design had solid bronze facia but the later post war were a poor replica in as much as it was a thin1/16 pressed stainless or brass plate on a mild steel backing Regards Ant

The reason there was hope was because this was in Budleigh Salterton - a small town in Devon, known all over Britain, as a byword for being old fashioned, behind the times, left behind by the modern world....much like Wales really :-)

a few more that I have found on my travels that havent yet been levered off by Pikeys:-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lloyds-nightsafe.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	267.2 KB 
ID:	5755 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	midland-chubb-nightsafe.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	5756 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	midland-chubb-nightsafe-bui.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	5757 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	natwest-nightsafe.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	5758 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	york1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	5759

Default the good old Night safe

Just for fun does anybody know the one Main difference in these photos other than the different designs?

Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    Just for fun does anybody know the one Main difference in these photos other than the different designs?
    Surely it's obvious?
    The only important difference is whether they were made by Chatwood or some other and inferior company :-)

It could be that one is a building and the rest are Traps!

Or

It could be that pictures two and five are drawers and the rest are rotary

But I expect that its none of these…?

go on Ant enlighten us.

Thread Information