Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Diebold safe from estate sale with questions for the experts...

Hi all,
    I bought this sweet Diebold safe yesterday at an estate sale and I'm hoping you guys can help answer some questions for me, or tell me how to find the answers:
    1. How old is it?
    2. Whats the appx value? (I bought it for $75)
    3. Is it possible to get a key to open the interior drawers? (I have the combo but no key)
    4. ...and any other info that might be interesting.
    Thanks!!!!
    clear
    clear
    clear
    clear
    clear
    clear

If I was to look at that safe for resale you paid about what I would expect to sell it for in the low end of the range of $75-140. This is based on the fact that the safe body is an old fire safe from the look of the inside of the door. The lock doesn't look special to me. The bolt work is basic and light. The paint is in really good condition. I would say this safe was made sometime between 1910-1955. Someone maybe able to narrow it down I would say with a better view of the dial.

Yes a locksmith/safe tech should be able to make keys for those locks.
    Last edited by Dean Nickel; 19-04-11 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halflock View Post
    Someone maybe able to narrow it down I would say with a better view of the dial.
    Here ya go:
    clear

great safe Rusty....a guy just showed me one nearly exactly the same just the other day. it is in pretty bad shape though (his that is, yours looks pretty good). What do you intend to do with it? Restoration? He said I could have it if i wanted it. Let me know if you want another...we can just go get it...lol (it is in Ashaland, Ohio...BTW). It is same era as yours but it may be a little wider...even has the same looking drawers and such. Take care. matt

Matt,
    Do you have any info about it? Do you think the keys to the inner drawers are the same?

hi Rusty...as in will the keys from the safe i mentioned open the locks on your safe?...if this is your question, ide have to say most likely not. I have a Mosler-Bahmann safe (from 1870's or so) that has four drawers in it. The one key i have only unlocks two of them (yale drawer locks). So...perhaps there is a problem internally with the other ones or they have over time, been replaced. Or I'm missing a key or two. I would say wait on a reply from Doug. He knows best. He can make a key if you need one...but I'm not sure how to get a locked lock open....i'm just a restoration guy. I depend on others (like Doug) when i need info on locks and keys and safes. Perhaps you could remove the locked lockbox and drill out the rivots and get inside of it. You could then remove the lock mech (prob. four screws or rivots)and send send to Doug and he can make you key(s)...then just simply re-rivot the box before re-installing. You'de have to check with him on that. Doug would know the approx date on the safe as well. he is a good and friendly going, very knowledgeable guy. i think your safe was a great buy at only $75.00. I have a round door, inner safe (or "money chest") at about the same era. It has the same "Diebold" in a shield logo on the dial. Doug has seen picts of it and told me a bit about it. Perhaps it could fit inside of yours. hope this helps. take care.

Thread Information