Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Meilink Special Lock

Picked up a locked safe with Melink Special Lock on the dial. I am looking for general opening info to try and dial it open. Is it a 2 wheel lock like the other old small melink safes? Is the drop in at 49? And does the combo go RLR? I'm not looking for any sacred info like DP's or anything. It is a 50 number dial. Also for general info was that lock made by Eagle? It does have a small T handle presumably to retract the bolts.
    Thanks,
    Jacob

Default Melink Special Lock

Ok so I got it open and yes it is a two wheel, and yes the combo goes RLR but different drop. It looks like the drop can be changed by the user or maybe the little lever just scrambles the combo. I'll have to fool with it some more to find out. I would still like to know if the lock was made by Eagle.
    Jacob

I think that the locks for those were either Eagle or CCL. Depends on when it was made. CCL did make some around 1910-20 that were simple cheap dial safe locks. Eagle also made some but for a longer time. Hard to say without looking at the lock.

When it was in Southington, CT the Lori Corp had all the old Eagle tooling for those locks adn IIRC still made most of them. I think I have one of each type from there somewhere.
    BBE.

Default Meilink Special Lock

Thanks, I'll post a couple of pics as soon as I get a chance and maybe we can determine an approximate age from the lock.
    Jacob

Thread Information