Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Has anyone seen theses unit locks and maybe have one?

I am looking to get pictures of these three unit locks. Pictures of the insides and how they come apart.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1905 Corbin catalogue, p. 493.jpg  

Dean it looks like the large version is the type I used to work on when I was at the Cleveland Key Shop. They have one I could take pics of. Doug

They have one with no outside knob? COOL! PLEASE!

Don't have much time today but here are a few pics. Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails unit lock 001.jpg   unit lock 002.jpg   unit lock 003.jpg   unit lock 004.jpg   unit lock 005.jpg  

That is a nice second generation unit lock. That was a hotel lock as it is non dead latching lock but the thumb turn blocks the latch. By the date on the dust cover I would agree with a date of 1900-02 as there was a few more patent dates on newer ones. I have a few of those in my collection. When you get time I would love pics of the inside and outside of the trim plates. Thank you for posting pictures of this one, I hadn't seen that trim design in catalogs before and it is a very nice one.

The locks I was trying to find are like those pictured above in the catalog cut but the two without the outer knob and maybe nothing on the inside. I have seen one on ebay but it was sold at a higher price than I could afford at that time. If anyone had the cabinet lock one pictured I would love pictures of that too.

Just so you know the model number is stamped on the inside of the escutcheon plate.

I have a few Unit locks in my collection and after looking around I found this one.

Russwin Unit Lock, Assylum Function
    This lock is fairly unique considering the normal Unit lock design. As you can see it only has a knob on one side.
    What I call the front is actually the side that would have been facing the patient and that is the side without a knob, but it does have a built-in pull at the bottom of the escutcheon. When you look at that side face on you notice something unusual, no keyhole.
    When the knob on the back is turned CCW, the large disk with the smaller disk in it on the front turns CW to expose the keyhole.
    Obviously the Nurse or Doctor would have had a key and could use that to retract the latch from the front side and after opening the door would use a finger inside the smaller disk to rotate the larger disk 90° CCW thereby making the keyhole inaccessible. The entire lock was mounted to the door via four screws on the back as shown.
    Two of the screws are missing on my mounted lock and I have never dismounted it or fitted a key. Sorry for the slightly fuzzy pictures. If I have time I may dismount it and take better pictures over the holidays.
    BBE.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	3920Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mounted.JPG 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	3921
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front w-key.JPG 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	3922Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.JPG 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	3923

I figured that Russwin made one too. Corbin and Russwin did the same things after they merged in 1902. I just don't have a scan of a catalog cut that shows that yet. It is neat how that works.

Thank you BBE, whenever you get time. I know you are busy.

These are grest old locks and I have worked on them at one Historic Government building.
    They have fewer moving parts then the current issued model. The models I worked on dating from 1912, and had Stop Work Buttons. One of the private tenents took one of the Mono Locks with them. The Tail Piece is a long square sided bar of steel, integral with the pin cylinder. The door has to be prepted by cutting out a solid oblong piece of wood. Useless for any retro-fitting of other brands or models of locks. Unless refilled with a piece of solid wood.

Brian .................................................. .......

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Denyer View Post
    Useless for any retro-fitting of other brands or models of locks. Unless refilled with a piece of solid wood.

Brian .................................................. .......
    What are the hole/slot size? Corbin Russwin still makes one UT5200 that can fit some of the old ones.... you just have to make some of the slots larger. It is two that can't be converted without using some fill. I converted many 161 preps to units.

http://extranet.assaabloydss.com/lib.../pdf/45261.pdf
    See page 5 for sizes of all the Corbin or Russwin locks made in the last 112 years to ID the one that is closest to yours.

Sad they took one. When you say Mono lock do you mean a Yale Mono lock? Pictures?

Thread Information