Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Looking for Trunk Key from 1800s

Hello,

I have a humpback trunk from the late 1800s. The latch on the trunk has a hasp that swings down over a metal loop. There is a small star at the top part of the hinge. This, I believe means that the locking mechanism was made by the Star Lock Work of Philadelphia. The trunk has a brass padlock attached to the lower part of the locking mechanism by a swivel. The brass lock swings upward and when open would enclose and lock on the loop. On the padlock is a stamped patent and date of mar, 1870. The padlock opens like a crab pincher claw and closes over the loop. The key would be a double bit skeleton with a solid tip - not a barrel type key. The padlock also has a capital letter K stamped on the side. I would say the key to match would also have the K and Star Lock Works stamped on it.

Would you have any information on who or where I might find this missing key. The trunk is in fabulous shape and I've restored several others to pristine condition. Having an original key would be fantastic.

Please let me know if you can help. I've attached a photo of the lock and locking hasp.

PS. I've contacted most of the trunk parts suppliers found online and no one has this key. You may know collectors that have keys for sale.

Thanks,

Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN7255.JPG  

Can't help with a key, but I have some trivia that might help date your trunk. The Star Lock Works was in business in Philadelphia, PA from 1836-1926.

Pete Schifferli

There are a few locksmiths that maybe able to fit keys to your lock.
    Find a Locksmith
    This site is run by ALOA -
    The Associated Locksmiths of America Inc. I am a member but I live 3000 miles from you. I can state that a good deal of these members are very well trained. Find a CML if you can.

The other option is to surf eBay or swap meets until you see a key that "Might" fit your lock. You may get lucky. A few others here have.

I would love to see the chest after you are done.

Thanks for the info. Still looking for this hard to find key.

What are the dimensions of the key hole?
    Is there a post for a barrel key, and if so what is the diameter?
    Is the shackle in the locked position?

Brian .............................................

Default Trunk Key from 1880s

You are correct in identifying the padlock as coming from the Star Lock Works. I too have one of these padlocks without a key. I wish I could tell you more about the locking mechanism, but I do have a picture of the keys. Two of the keys (top left and bottom right) show some shading that suggests a Scandinavian type key. If true, this would not surprise me since Star is known for its Scandinavian padlocks. (Incidentally, I previously posted information about the company's history.)

I hope this helps at least a little.
    Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crab padlocks.jpg  

Excellent work Scott. I see the trouble with trying to find blanks for these padlocks.
    Its almost an older European style shaft.
    Perhaps a hand cut blank from Metal Stock may be the shortest route to finding a key?
    The only other alternative is to find old keys and try each one in the hope of finding the correct cut?

Brian ..................................................

A possible US patent for this lock is 100,402.

Thanks for the additional info wylk, it all helps to complete the puzzle.

Brian .............................................

Default Found the Key!!!

Thanks to all who've responded to my exhaustive search for a Star Lock Works original "K" key for my crab style trunk lock. A West Coast key collector had several in his collection and did not hesitate to sell me one. Thanks! It fit perfectly and opened up the lock with a 'pop'. I'd upload a photo of the finished trunk, however, this site will not permit me to perform the upload. Maybe it is down??? If you'd like to see it, post your email and I'll send as an attachment.

Thread Information