Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Obscured Boltwork

Round vault doors from the 1900s up to their falling out of fashion (1960s?) almost always show off their wonderful boltwork behind glass panels. Even some of the later rectangular doors did. But a few of the round doors partly obscured the mechanism, see for example the Cleveland Federal Reserve Bank, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, and the door in Denver's Broker restaurant, The Broker Restaurant for Fine Dining in Denver Colorado and All sizes | Bank vault dining | Flickr - Photo Sharing!.

I don't know if this was purely style or if there was some other motivation. Today's mechanisms are so blandly functional and unimpressive I'm glad they cover up everything.

Any comments?

Wylk's I don't know the answer to your question, but a great restaurant with vaults is Bobby Van's in downtown manhattan. Look at the website photos of this place ! Wall St

"I don't know if this was purely style or if there was some other motivation."

I think this is a good example of 'America moving forward', as the bean counters would put it. The 'pride in craftmanship' designs in so many areas has slowly been substituted for the same functionality at a cheaper cost to produce. I think the gearing up of the factories and businesses for the war effort in the first half of the last century was the biggest turning(starting) point for that change. As far as production and manufacturing go, we probably reinvented the wheel several times during that push, with each time quality and beauty gave up a little for the bottom line profit margin. I wonder when the phrase "they just dont build them like they used too" was first used? Just my thoughts. I sure am enjoying the pictures of these beautiful behemoths of art. Thank you all. Bill

Thread Information